Live 10 refuses to open after crash..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Live 10 refuses to open after crash..

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:45 pm

I haven't upgraded yet, at this point it makes total sense to wait for the Winter sale :) , but this has been a problem forever.

If Live 10 crashes or hangs and has to be force quit on my system, it will then refuse to start until I restart the computer. This would occasionally happen in 9, but not at the frequency it does in 10.

90% of the time the crash is due to a VST, or rewire related. I'm thinking it's time to just remove rewire completely from my system, but an errant plug in seems to also be the culprit here, and to be honest, Live is the only DAW that will not start if it crashes plug in evaluation. Other DAWs here crash while starting up on the plug in that's badly coded etc.

Anyway any ideas? and does 11 still exhibit this behavior?

Mac Pro, Mojave OS.

jestermgee

Re: Live 10 refuses to open after crash..

Post by jestermgee » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:40 am

On my system (windows) occasionally a crash causes the audio interface driver to "lock up", even a complete reboot of the interface does not unlock the driver and it remains stuck often with Live also stuck in memory and a reboot is needed. This isn't specific to Live either, sometimes I have had Vegas Pro and even Adobe Premier crash with the same problem, but often if the application is released or force quit (not always possible) it will start but will always state the audio device is missing.

Machinesworking

Re: Live 10 refuses to open after crash..

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:21 am

Yeah that's a weird one, this is different in some ways but I wonder if it's the same internal bug in Live?

Basically Live here upon being force quit or crashing, will not open again until rebooting. In your case Live crashes the audio driver specifically, and there's indication that it's more of an audio driver issue since other applications have this problem too.

With this Mac issue, the OS gives an alert chime when attempting to reopen it after crashing or force quitting, and does nothing. This might be due to OS differences? Mac OS Core Audio is near impossible to crash, so it hard crashes Live. Dunno?