Issue: Scene follow actions now cause "select next scene on launch" even when turned off in preferences

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spfairchild

Issue: Scene follow actions now cause "select next scene on launch" even when turned off in preferences

Post by Spfairchild » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:08 am

Live 11.0.10 here.

On the previous version, I wasn't getting this behavior. I've set up my set with scene follow actions to be able to play through songs hands-free unless I intercede, but was able to stop playback with the Play button of my APC40 mkII and restart from the same instant that I stopped at in the same scene by pressing its Play button again. This worked great, after I had turned off the global preference to "select next scene on launch". When that preference was on, the next scene would launch after pausing playback.

But now, regardless of whether I'm using that controller or not, every time I launch a scene that contains a scene follow action, the next scene is automatically cued up and selected no matter what I do - with the undesired behavior being that if I stop playback and start again with the APC40's play button, it will launch the scene that was cued up, rather than continuing the one that was playing previously from where it left off.

I want to get that play/pause/play behavior back. Can anyone speak to whether that's a new bug or a new feature, and what I may be able to do to return to being able to truly pause and start playback from the pause point again without triggering the next scene (shift+space)?

chapelier fou

Re: Issue: Scene follow actions now cause "select next scene on launch" even when turned off in preferences

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:22 am

I can't test today, but it sounds like a bug to me, and an annoying one. Write to support.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Issue: Scene follow actions now cause "select next scene on launch" even when turned off in preferences

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:29 am

It's being investigated, but please report to support@ableton.com with details so we can have as much data/setups examples as possible.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Spfairchild

Post by Spfairchild » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Thanks guys, I've just submitted the issue to support. I also see there's a new public beta available as of today, I wonder if that affects this particular issue at all.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:22 pm

Spfairchild wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:06 pm
I wonder if that affects this particular issue at all.
Yep. Try the beta if you're registered to Centercode, and let us know if it's fixing the issue for you.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Spfairchild

Post by Spfairchild » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:46 am

Downloaded the new 11.1b3 beta and tested, same behavior I've described above is still present. I've also emailed support about it.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31 am

I don't observe this behaviour in 11.1b3 (Win 10), disabling/enabling "select next scene on launch" works as expected, with or without Scene Follow Actions , with Key Assign, MIDI assign, mouse clicking or arrow keys with enter key (didn't test any remote scripts though).
♥♥♥

Spfairchild

Post by Spfairchild » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 am

pottering wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31 am
I don't observe this behaviour in 11.1b3 (Win 10), disabling/enabling "select next scene on launch" works as expected, with or without Scene Follow Actions , with Key Assign, MIDI assign, mouse clicking or arrow keys with enter key (didn't test any remote scripts though).
Very interesting! Ableton just today asked me to record a little video of the issue and submit a ZIP file report, which I did, and I'm still getting the same behavior I described - also on Win 10, both on the new beta and the current 11.0.1. So strange! The only way to return to normal expected operation of select next scene on launch is for me to either use the Follow Action defeat button below the scenes or manually turn a scene's follow actions off.

I noticed this morning though, that the next scene actually isn't being highlighted like it's selected, but its launch button does start flashing and it's cued up to play if playback is paused and restarted. Thanks for trying it out!

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 am

Yeah, I actually set all the Scene Follow Actions to Previous here, to separate the visual feedback more clearly.
♥♥♥

Spfairchild

Post by Spfairchild » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:42 am

FWIW: no feedback from Ableton's support yet.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:43 am

Spfairchild wrote: the undesired behavior being that if I stop playback and start again with the APC40's play button, it will launch the scene that was cued up, rather than continuing the one that was playing previously from where it left off.
if 'next' is the chosen action then that's the way it's supposed to work, same with clip follow actions - after a stop-start, the cued scene/clip will play
Spfairchild wrote: I want to get that play/pause/play behavior back. Can anyone speak to whether that's a new bug or a new feature, and what I may be able to do to return to being able to truly pause and start playback from the pause point again without triggering the next scene (shift+space)?
shift+space works here to resume the current clip, not the cued clip. does it not work for you?

Spfairchild

Post by Spfairchild » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:54 pm

garyboozy wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:43 am
Spfairchild wrote: the undesired behavior being that if I stop playback and start again with the APC40's play button, it will launch the scene that was cued up, rather than continuing the one that was playing previously from where it left off.
if 'next' is the chosen action then that's the way it's supposed to work, same with clip follow actions - after a stop-start, the cued scene/clip will play
Spfairchild wrote: I want to get that play/pause/play behavior back. Can anyone speak to whether that's a new bug or a new feature, and what I may be able to do to return to being able to truly pause and start playback from the pause point again without triggering the next scene (shift+space)?
shift+space works here to resume the current clip, not the cued clip. does it not work for you?
Yes, I understand the stop/start, typical space bar functionality within live. And shift + space still resumes from a pause rather than restarts, but the issue is that the stated functionality of the Akai APC40 mkII's play button is that it functions as a play/pause button, rather than a play/stop/play button. And it used to have the effect of pausing and restarting playback in Live, even with scene follow actions, but the latest update seems to have broken that functionality. As I'm a bassist and have my hands full most of the time during performance, I can let go with one hand quickly to hit the APC's play button with the intention of pausing/playing back from paused location, but it's a bit too onerous to try for a combination keyboard control and defeats the purpose of keeping my hands off the computer during performance.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Maybe the remote script changes in 11.0.10 have broken the APC behaviour.

Spfairchild

Post by Spfairchild » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:03 pm

Screw, I resolved the issue with the Shift+Space max for live plugin. Mapped my APC40mkII play button to that and it works like a charm.