How Do I Monitor Without Actually Recording on a Track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hlpwabltn

How Do I Monitor Without Actually Recording on a Track?

Post by hlpwabltn » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 pm

I want to add reverb to a headphone mix without adding latency so I'm using the 2 track method. One track monitoring set off to record the vocals, another with monitoring on and reverb on 100% wet. My issue is, I have to arm both tracks in order to hear the reverb. I want to be able to monitor the reverb track without recording audio on that track. I know I can just delete the audio, but it would be great if there was a monitor-without-recording option.

Is there any way to do this in Ableton?

Pitch Black

Re: How Do I Monitor Without Actually Recording on a Track?

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:32 am

Is your reverb track’s monitor status set to IN or AUTO?

If you set monitor to IN you should be hearing the input signal, regardless of record-arm status. Its when monitor is set to AUTO that you only hear the input when the track is armed.

hlpwabltn

Post by hlpwabltn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:46 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:32 am
Is your reverb track’s monitor status set to IN or AUTO?

If you set monitor to IN you should be hearing the input signal, regardless of record-arm status. Its when monitor is set to AUTO that you only hear the input when the track is armed.
It's set to Auto but that's not what I'm trying to achieve. I'm trying to record in the first track while hearing the monitor audio from the reverb track. The issue is once you playback the audio, you have to mute the reverb track because it recorded audio as well, then you have to un-mute it again when you record again. I just want to record audio in the first track while hearing the monitored signal on the second track (without recording actual audio on that track)

hlpwabltn

Post by hlpwabltn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:48 am

actually, never mind. You fixed my issue! Thanks!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:02 am

hpytohlp!