Live 11 resource usage

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TheOceanBeneath

Live 11 resource usage

Post by TheOceanBeneath » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 am

Hi everyone,

Just after a bit of advise with Ableton Live 11. I seem to have really high resource useage even when I'm not doing anything in Live. I've noticed a massive difference between 10 and 11 and just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same or can provide screenshots of task manager like mine to show if this is abnormal?

As you will see even when completely idle this project is using 23% of my GPU, 7% of my CPU and 33% of my memory. When I hit play on this project the CPU goes up to about 10%, GPU up to 38% and memory up to about 39%

This is a fairly small project.

Whilst it is then playing I will get the CPU meter in Ableton hitting the 100% and giving the CPU overload.

I'm running this on a Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core CPU with 16GB of RAM and an Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060.

Any help, advise or even just clarification what other people are experiencing would be much appreciated.

Thanks

cephalus

Re: Live 11 resource usage

Post by cephalus » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:17 pm

I have just noticed this, and have found the previous post.

GPU usage is negligible when Live starts and a projects is loaded. A small project with 6 instances of DUNE 3 and 1 of Arturia Piano 2 consumes little CPU, but 30% of GPU. However, when all activity is stopped viz. nothing is playing and screen is static, the GPU usage continues.. How can this be? It implies some code is still executing in an apparently static state. However, after 3+ minutes this subsides.

Even it it's playing, it's puzzling that just showing a few output ladders could consume so much resource. Comments and other observations welcomed.

Machine is Intel i9 9900K on Asus Z390 mobo; 32GB memory ; Radeon W3100 dual video card; Samsung Evo 970 SSD on M2.

TheOceanBeneath

Re: Live 11 resource usage

Post by TheOceanBeneath » Thu May 05, 2022 5:51 am

Still looking for any help with this people may be able to offer. I'm still experiencing very high CPU usage within Ableton 11. In the current project I'm working on most of the CPU drain is on the master channel according to Ableton. This only has an auto filter, utility, reverb and sausage fattener, also even if I delete these plugins the meters stay the same. Tried deleting each group and both return channels individually and no change.

Done a quick screen capture of my Ableton CPU usage vs. my task manager usage.

https://youtu.be/YyY7ThfE47w

Please if anyone has any suggestions, ideas or similar experience please let me know.

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
NVIDIA GeFroce RTX2060
16GB RAM

Thanks