Audio From another track (post mixer) is louder than the source track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robcapo

Audio From another track (post mixer) is louder than the source track

Post by robcapo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:38 pm

Hello, I've set up input routing such that I have 4 Audio Tracks (call them Recording Tracks), armed, with input monitoring set to Off, and Audio From set to a guitar track (post mixer) (call it the Monitor Track). All of the track mixers have Volume set to 0db. For some reason, though, the recording tracks are louder than the monitor track.

Oddly enough, when I set the Volume on the monitor track to anything less than 0db, the recording tracks become quieter than the monitor track. All of the recording tracks are the exact same level as each other.

I can finagle the volumes to find the levels I want, but I'm curious why this is happening. I'd expect that with all volumes set to 0db, the levels would be exactly the same for the recording tracks and the monitor track. Am I missing some part of how input routing works?

Example when volumes are set to 0db

pottering

Re: Audio From another track (post mixer) is louder than the source track

Post by pottering » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Audio Tracks set to Monitoring show the Input in the meters, not Output, so probably -29.4 is the peak of the Ext 1 input, and -23 is the peak after FX you put in Track 1.
♥♥♥

robcapo

Re: Audio From another track (post mixer) is louder than the source track

Post by robcapo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Ah gotcha, that's helpful, thank you!

I'll have to test more but I could swear the volume itself is also louder. Could be in my head though.

Basically what I'm doing is using the clip slots as a sort of looper device for my guitar. When I loop something into a slot and continue to play over it, the recorded clip seems to drown out the monitor track. I think most loopers do reduce the level of recorded clips though, so I'll try to do the same.