Brain broken - need help w/ submix routing with effects

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spfairchild

Brain broken - need help w/ submix routing with effects

Post by Spfairchild » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:15 pm

I feel so stupid not being able to wrap my head around this after so many years of Live use.

Goal: to pass two separately controllable mixes - one submix for monitoring, and the main out - through the same midi-controlled effect rack, in order to monitor the output of that rack while being able to control the instrument mix separately from the main out (also post-rack).

Issues:
-I can't put the rack on the Master channel, because then if I use a return track for my monitor and sends from the tracks to that return, routing through a separate external out than the main, the return doesn't have the effect rack's output.

-I seemingly can't have 2 instances of the same rack due to the way I have it midi mapped and controlled by a controller running through a max for live midi toggling effect. Otherwise I could duplicate the effect on two returns and control both instances of the rack simultaneously.

-I can't put the rack on my monitoring return, because the rack's output won't also go to the master out.

-I can't put the rack on a second return and feed that one back into the monitoring return, because it adds the effected post-rack sound to the dry, pre-rack signal in my monitor mix, which is far from ideal.

I'd like sends A to go to my own submix, and sends B or master out to be the master out - but I want both separate mixes to run through the same rack and then output to the two separate monitoring and main outs, without changes I make to my monitoring out affecting the main mix or vice versa.

Any thoughts? Am I missing the most obvious thing??