UF8 vs Console 1 vs Faderport 8 vs QCon Pro G2 vs MCU Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DannyWalkman

UF8 vs Console 1 vs Faderport 8 vs QCon Pro G2 vs MCU Pro

Post by DannyWalkman » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:16 am

I have a very large live performance Ableton Live project, with 200+ channels, grouped into 8 buses, which subsequently are subgrouped by types of instruments. I’m struggling with controlling this mammoth, so my plan is to use a small MIDI controller to select (in focus) first track of each subgroup, then use a motorized control surface in order to mix. I know most of these control surfaces are not completely compatible with Live. But I’m looking to find out some comparisons / reviews of people who used any of these control surfaces with Ableton and what they loved or hated about it, considering the following things I’m looking for in a Control Surface (in order of importance):

• Scrolling quickly between tracks in session view (with jog wheel / rotary control)
• Fold / Unfold groups and subgroups (on my APC40 MKII you can just tap and hold on a track select button, and it will fold/unfold)
• Fader Layering / Grouping (combine multiple tracks into one fader)
• Device Macros Control
• Control Automations with faders
• Ability to Lock Faders (after I move it, it jumps back to its default position)
• As small as possible

So let’s round them up. Which one of these you would say is the best Control Surface for Ableton Live?
• SSL UF8
• Softube Console 1 Fader
• Presonus Faderport 8
• Icon QCon Pro G2
• Mackie Control Universal Pro
• (another suggestion)