Adjusting Track Send parameter by Launching a scene in Session View

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sinateta

Adjusting Track Send parameter by Launching a scene in Session View

Post by sinateta » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:13 pm

Hey guys

In session view, is there a way to adjust the send value of an Audio track by launching a scene ?

I created a live set and have a track to play Guitar live. Each scene is a new song and I like to adjust the Reverb value ( Send A) automatically by launching a scene. I understand that if there was a clip in the track we can automate the send value in clip automation but in this case it is an Audio track to play live and there is no clip in it.

Thanks

Greenapples2019

Re: Adjusting Track Send parameter by Launching a scene in Session View

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:12 pm

You can add a dummy audio clip on the guitar track. Have it start at 1.1.1 and end at 1.1.2. set it to warp and in the envelope section set the level of the reverb send. Then when you trigger the scene it will adjust the reverb level and still allow you to use the track for your live guitar.

I hope that helps?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:55 pm

Just to add to Greenapple’s excellent reply

If you’re not familiar, the concept of a Dummy Clip is that any track that has its input set to In and is passing incoming audio through it, can still contain Clips. These clips won’t play any audio (in fact they appear greyed out) BUT any automation inside these clips still works as usual.

So as Greenapples said, you can have a Dummy Clip in each Scene automating as many parameters as you wish.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

sinateta

Post by sinateta » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Thank you, This works great to set the initial value.

What I actually wanted to was to automate this Send A value for the Live Guitar track over the duration of the song, If I want to play the Guitar while having the Dummy track running to control automation. It seems the Monitor option shall be on IN all the time and I can't put it on Auto and use the Arm Recording . Is there any work around this ? Putting the live track always on IN sounds tricky for live concerts.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:28 pm

You can make the dummy clip as long as you like, and contain as much automation as you want, dynamic changes/fades etc, as well as setting one-off levels. So your dummy clip could play the entire length of your song/scene, merrily automating changes as you go.

If you want to only have your guitar come thru when you have a track armed for recording: have your guitar track with dummy clips set to IN, and route the output of this track to another audio track. This second audio track is the one you set to Auto, and control with Rec Arm.

A different approach would be to include automation for track mixer volume in your dummy clip, so that it mutes/unmutes the dummy track, or turns the dummy track’s volume up and down when required.
Last edited by Pitch Black on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

sinateta

Post by sinateta » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Awesome! Thank you very much