Preventing Ableton from recentering on clips when moved

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
whatsuphelpline

Preventing Ableton from recentering on clips when moved

Post by whatsuphelpline » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:36 am

Hey all,
Just wondering if there is anyway to disable the behavior where every time a clip is moved in arrangement view the view recenters at the start of the clip. For example, when a clip is moved via clicking and dragging the view stays in place, but when you wish to move the clip with say, alt+arrow keys the view is recentered on the beginning of the clips, making this functionality extremely annoying to deal with in certain situations where longer clips need realignment at a specific point. Seems universally annoying and I would prefer that Ableton never did this like, ever, if possible.

Currently experiencing this in Live 10 but can switch to 11 if there's a solution in there.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Preventing Ableton from recentering on clips when moved

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:19 pm

I don't see what behaviour you're talking about...
Alt+L/R arrows is used to navigate in Arrangement view, not to move clips.
Is it in situations where the transport is running?
Ableton Forum Moderator

whatsuphelpline

Post by whatsuphelpline » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:24 am

The arrow keys can be used in arrangement view to do many context specific actions; mainly tho, alt + arrow keys allow you to move your selection either without or with snapping (holding down alt enables whichever functionality is not default, I believe.) The transport is not running in this scenario, though the behaviour is likely the same with the transport running. I should have specified really; this “issue” (functionality quirk) is specific to using the arrow keys to move a selected a clip in arrangement view.

Every time a selection like this is moved with arrow keys when zoomed in on the clip in arrangement view, the window will centre on the start of the selected clip - this is something that is entirely unwanted when you are trying to synchronise multiple clips at a certain point (eg a specific transient 2 minutes into their runtime) as using the arrow keys to nudge the beginning of the clip will cause you to be unable to see what you were just a looking at less than a second before. This has always been the functionality since I started using Ableton with Live 8 as far as I know, it’s just never annoyed me enough to ask any questions about it.

To try it out, zoom in really far on a clip, select it and press an arrow key. The arrangement window should move to the beginning of the clip immediately, something that doesn’t happen at all when moved by clicking and dragging, or alt+drag. It’s something that like every 3 months trips me up and I have to do annoying workarounds like cutting the clip, synchronising from the cut then extending the clip from cut backwards - three actions where there should be one, really, that add up when you have a big project.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Ok I see.
That's the same behavior since forever. It's only happening when e.g you press left arrow when your clip start is near the left part of the zoomed Arrangement area (so you don't lose track of the clip's start).
If you're zoomed in on the end of the clip and press any arrow, it will jump to the beginning of the clip, which is annoying I reckon, but that's not a new behavior.
Ableton Forum Moderator