Wav file sounds better on pc than on my phone

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gadosmark

Wav file sounds better on pc than on my phone

Post by Gadosmark » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:21 pm

Hey!

So lately a problem is driving me mad. I create a project, I master, I eq, I mix, I do everything and it sounds crips. Then I export, and the wav sounds great! Yay! So I upload it to google drive, so I can listen back to it while Im at uni or something, but the version on my phone sounds horrible.
And then I open the wav FROM GOOGLE DRIVE on my pc, and it sounds perfect.

I thought: okay, maybe its google drives fault. So I uploaded it on Itunes, because if I listen to things on apple music on my phone, they always sound crisp. AND AGAIN: If I open it on Itunes on my pc, it sounds great, but if I open Apple music and listen to the same thing on my phone: Its mono and trash.

Please help me out, Im going crazy!!!!

jestermgee

Re: Wav file sounds better on pc than on my phone

Post by jestermgee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Compared it to another song? Maybe your phone is shit or your headphones or the app that is playing it has an issue or something else entirely.

Tried playing the file on something else than PC and Phone? If it also sounds good on something else, by way of elimination, i'd be looking at your phone/headphones as the issue.

Maybe upload a sample to youtube or something and test again. If it is still shit on your phone, see if others can have a listen and if they also hear it is shit (quality not content).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:56 am

Sometimes Windows has extra sound processing in the driver settings of the soundcard.

There are a lot of factors at play. Also, I’m not sure what kinds of physical sound sources you’re using and if they are different between systems.

You’d have to explain:
What setup you used to make it
What setup you’re listening through (audio hardware and speakers or headphones, plus driver settings and what software media player)

And also on the phone what you’re using for listening , whether it be headphones, speakers, and if you’re using Bluetooth or hardware connection.

There are a lot of variables that can contribute to it sounding one way or another. And even after all that, one little difference in perception can still make it sound better or worse on a format.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:43 am

as others have said, there are a lot of factors to consider. but the biggest one is the one you've already alluded to—every song will sound different on different speakers. knowing nothing about your background, the first thing that sticks out to ask is, how confident are you that your mix should translate well across a wide variety of different speakers? did you do any reference listening in your car, home stereo, or other sets of speakers before finalizing your mix?

another thing is, did you check for mono compatibility/phase issues along the way? I think most phones are decent at stereo playback these days, but even still, the drivers are potentially close together, which I imagine could cause some issues, if you're playing back using the phone speakers (less a problem if you listen on headphones, but still an important step).

the last thing I can think of is, have you checked your phone's settings to see if it's forcing playback in mono? not sure if that's a thing in all phones, but I know it's a setting in iPhones—I've used it as a check for mono compatibility in the past.

Gadosmark

Post by Gadosmark » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:01 am

Okay its resolved: my phones audio settings were messed up. They have been like this FOR A MONTH. Now Im just listening through all the music I have gotten into the past month, and its frustrating how much I have been missing out on.
Thank you all for your replies, love you all!!