Ableton Live Compressor "upgrade"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maky355

Ableton Live Compressor "upgrade"

Post by maky355 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:55 am

I am having some Compressor presets which were saved with Live when it was at version 8.

When I load these older presets into my Live 11 all fine I mean compressor is loading fine and sound is as expected. However There's also an "upgrade" button at the top of the compressor. Screenshot attached.

In most cases when I click on that Upgrade button, the sound coming out from the compressor changes quite a bit (and it's being reflected on the curve display).

My question is does anyone know what exactly is changing when I click on the "upgrade" option. I am asking this in order to tune the compressor in the somewhat same sounding area once after "upgrade" was clicked. Seems to me I can't match the sound anymore.

Before someone asks me why I simply don't leave it as is: Yes I can do that but I am worried that at some point Live stps respecting this older "legacy" modes hence my question about what's happening with the "upgrade" button on Live Compressor.
I can also see that some of the Opto modes go missing once I click on Upgrade.

Any tips?

jestermgee

Re: Ableton Live Compressor "upgrade"

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Pretty sure the legacy compressor algorithm will remain so I wouldn't stress about that too much.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... reference/

Basically the algorithm was upgraded which most find much better, some have a differing opinion but that will always be the case.
24.9.3 Upgrading from Legacy Mode
Compressor’s internal algorithms were updated in Live 9, in collaboration with Dr. Joshua D. Reiss of the Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary University of London.

Live Sets that use Compressor and which were made in earlier versions of Live will show an Upgrade button in the title bar of each instance of Compressor when loading the Set in Live 9. Press the Upgrade button in order to upgrade that Compressor instance to the latest, improved algorithms. Note that this may cause your Set to sound different.
If legacy version sounds best for your project, leave it as is (I do on older tracks).

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:06 pm

FYI, Live 8's Compressor FF2 in RMS mode = L9's RMS with Lin
FF2 in Peak mode = L9's Peak with Lin
Ableton Forum Moderator

maky355

Post by maky355 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:40 am

Thanks everyone!!