Guitar recorded in to Session clip missing attack transient of first note

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fatphil

Guitar recorded in to Session clip missing attack transient of first note

Post by fatphil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:43 am

Hi All,

On Windows 10, Live 10 I'm using an m-audio Fast Track using M-audio's drivers (256 samples of buffer, 8ms latency) to record guitar in to a clip in session view.

If I switch monitoring OFF when recording this track (recommended to avoid a delay by Anthony (SeedToStage and Earthcry) then without fail the first few milliseconds are missing from the clip. What I mean is the attack transient isn't there. If I test with a simple 4 chops to match a 4/4 beat I see the other 3 chops are clean and on time.
I cannot drag the start back before 0.0.0 to see (or recover and use) the attack transient signal.

If I switch monitoring ON when recording this track then the first transient is there, slightly late, as are the 3 other chops.

I'd like to have clean clips for doing some looping, but this is muffing up the first note of every clip. I've even tried ASIO4All but the problem remains.

I read in the Ableton docs that Driver Error Compensation (DEC) is not necessary if you use the drivers provided my the manufacturer, and that DEC is only applied when using direct monitoring on the audio interface (not in Ableton).

Any Ideas?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Guitar recorded in to Session clip missing attack transient of first note

Post by [jur] » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:11 am

There's an option in the preferences to automatically add fades on clip edges. Are you sure this is not it?
Ableton Forum Moderator

fatphil

Post by fatphil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:55 am

Sorry forgot to mention I'd tried with this option on or off and it didn't fix it.

I've also checked Driver Error compensation and it's fine. 0 DEC required

fatphil

Post by fatphil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:09 am

I've come to the conclusion that I need Player Error Correction (tm) :D

I think my timing is a bit eager to get that first note down when I'm recording. I tested recording with punch-in in arrangement view and I noticed about 50% of the time I was strumming early.

I just need to practice more. Simple as that. :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:13 am

If your recording's fine with monitoring On/Auto why not sticking with it?
8ms of latency is fine enough for guitar playing imo, if you feel like it isn't tight enough then you can momentarily with to eg 128 samples when recording.
And since it seems like you're recording a DI guitar, using monitoring off doesn't make a lot of sense imo. You're probably using a guitar amp plugin, right? So you can't hear your processed sound while recording. That mustn't help.
Ableton Forum Moderator

fatphil

Post by fatphil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:32 am

You're absolutely right. It's a DI guitar and I'm using the Ableton FX + Amp & Cabs to get my desired sounds. I'll stick with monitoring on/auto.

Thanks ;)