Can't find good voice effect.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jay99

Can't find good voice effect.

Post by jay99 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 pm

Hi,
I would like to add some effect on my voice recording, so I tried echo, delay...ouff..I can't find anything good, they all sounds weird...
Do you have any suggestions? I got Live 10,

Thank you.
Jay

slow.robot

Re: Can't find good voice effect.

Post by slow.robot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:39 am

what are you looking to achieve? in my experience, it’s rarely successful if you decide an instrument needs an effect, without a clear understanding of why. looking to make the vocal wider? clearer? create more depth? the answer(s) to this question usually dictates the kind of effect you may want.

and it should go without saying that the source material (performance and recording quality) should sound as solid as possible beforehand. you can cover up some things and find creative ways to minimize others, but it’s particularly difficult to get away with an iffy vocal performance (something I still struggle with)—usually it’s pretty obvious when a vocal isn’t up to snuff, no matter how you dress it up.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:06 am

Agreed. It's also worth trying the effects listening to the mix rather than the vocal track in isolation. What sounds weird solo can sound great in the overall mix. As a starting point, set up Return tracks with:
a) a short (50-80ms) slapback delay
b) a short (100-200ms) plate reverb
c) a longer (1-2 sec) room/hall reverb

Then send your vocal track to them and adjust the sends to blend the sounds until you get the sound, as part of the mix, that you like. Then experiment with other delays (1/4 note, dotted 8th) and other effects like chorus.

jay99

Post by jay99 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:37 pm

I want to add something simple in the voice, nothing fancy, and i tried the slapback, some room reverb, but it's too much

Maybe my question should be What do you use as effect for you vocal, that is included in Live 10?

Thx.
Jay

dsu

Post by dsu » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Both the delay and reverb effects have a dry/wet control that you can adjust to just add a tiny amount to the original signal.