will Ableton and my plugins work off a bootable clone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
orchi909

will Ableton and my plugins work off a bootable clone?

Post by orchi909 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:38 pm

my mac is a 2019 8 core i9 16gb Macbook pro and its being extremely sluggish and spotlight doesn't work correctly, i spoke to apple and they said the best course of action was to back up, wipe and manually reinstall everything i want to keep and drag manually over the files i want to keep which is sort of what i intend to do however i wont be reinstalling everything and will only drag over the important files like sample folders etc, I will still need to be able to access my old projects and have them run correctly, so file architecture, plugin licences etc all need to be the same on the clone otherwise the projects will not load. so my question is, if i clone my mac ssd onto an external ssd will i be able to open and edit my old Ableton projects through the cloned drive? if so, what ssd would be best? and will my plugins need to be re-liceneced? if not, how what is the best thing for me to do? im hoping someone here has been in the same boat. thanks!

dougdi

Re: will Ableton and my plugins work off a bootable clone?

Post by dougdi » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:46 pm

Yes, I do it on my 2013 MBP using a Lacie Rugged TBolt SSD. I don’t know how much slower it is, but I was surprised at it being very usable. I’ve done the same on my trash can and had no issues.

edit

I remember Live needs a new authorization, no problem.
Doug