Why does low cut prolong low end tone of a kick?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
romariozen

Why does low cut prolong low end tone of a kick?

Post by romariozen » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:10 pm

At first I thought that was connected to the phase shift, but then I turned to Linear phase mode and the artifact got bigger.
That's sometimes a problem when you clear out your mix from sub 20 Hz frequencies and your kicks are becoming smudged in a timeline.
That's most drastic for highly distorted kicks and especially when an instance of EQ is loaded before the distortions, AMP and clippers

Any ideas why that happens?

Tarekith

Re: Why does low cut prolong low end tone of a kick?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 pm

At least with linear phase you have to worry about pre- and post-ringing postentially which can sound like a bit of extra sustain in extreme cases. Not sure about non-linear phase tools though, don't think I've ever experienced that.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Why does low cut prolong low end tone of a kick?

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm

It sounds like phase shifting, then regarding linear phase EQ Tarekith sums it up.
Tarekith wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 pm
linear phase you have to worry about pre- and post-ringing
But since you tried both, what's really happening?? Can you observe the behaviour on the rendered waveform, or is it psychoacoustic?
Since you mentioned distortion/clipping, could that be some folded back extra harmonics created by the saturation, and exaggerated either by the cutoff point's phase shift, or by the linear phase EQ pre/post ringing?
It'd be great if you could share an example clip/set or just sample and devices settings so we can have a look at it.
Ableton Forum Moderator