LIVE 11: Setting Audio Preferences CRASHES MY SESSION?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BrandonLaidaBeat

LIVE 11: Setting Audio Preferences CRASHES MY SESSION?!

Post by BrandonLaidaBeat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 pm

Hey all!

I'm having a massive issue with my Ableton Audio Preferences in Live 11 and I can't seem to get past it.

I have both Live 10 and 11, as well as Logic X Pro and Pro Tools, and this issue is ONLY happening in 11, and I seem to be the only one having this exact issue;

Whenever I open up 11 and set my audio preferences for my session (regardless if I'm working on an interface or my mac's built in speakers and input) and try and set my output and input, I'm unable to set my output to "built-in" OR to my interface (Apollo Twin X tied to UAD Console, or my Komplete Audio 6) without my entire session crashing. I'm then shown the following alert when reopening the crashed session;

"Live's last program run was abnormally aborted. It is likely that this happened because a corrupt audio driver was selected. Audio has therefore been temporarily disabled. Please choose a different audio driver from the Audio Preferences."

When I try to reopen the session and repeat the process, the same thing happens - I don't have this issue in Live 10, Logic X Pro, or Pro Tools.

I can send detailed photos and videos showing the issues as well as my system specs and storage if need be! I could really use support here ASAP! I'm working on music daily with multiple artists who also use Live 11 and I can't afford to be out of commission in the slightest!

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Brandon Lee Bjornson

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: LIVE 11: Setting Audio Preferences CRASHES MY SESSION?!

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:53 am

Do you have any stuff like Loopback, Soundflower, Blackhole inyour drivers list? If yes, try removing them from your system.
Otherwise, I'd try resetting Live (there's articles on ableton.com Knowledge Base), and if that doesn't help write to support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator

havkayak

Post by havkayak » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 pm

Send the crash-repport to Ableton.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:53 pm

I'm using pretty much the same interface. No issues, though once I did have great difficulty getting it to operate. Uninstalled, and reinstalled the UA software. If I remember correctly, that solved the problem. UA's WDM stuff is not very good. You're using ASIO, right?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:53 pm
I'm using pretty much the same interface. No issues, though once I did have great difficulty getting it to operate. Uninstalled, and reinstalled the UA software. If I remember correctly, that solved the problem. UA's WDM stuff is not very good. You're using ASIO, right?
He's on mac, no ASIO

yakar

Post by yakar » Tue May 17, 2022 11:09 pm

Hello,
I'm encountering a similar problem.
Did you find a solution in the end?
Regards

Vance

Post by Vance » Wed May 18, 2022 8:17 am

What version of macOS are you running? I was having some weird interface-related issues on Monterey 12.3 & 12.3.1 which appear to have been fixed in 12.4 (so far at least).

hotshoe

Post by hotshoe » Sun May 29, 2022 8:41 pm

Ableton Live 11 hangs regularly whenever I change audio ins/outs -- beachball of death, have to force quit the app.

I'm on MacOS Monterey 12.3.1, fresh Live 11 install (latest ver), ANUBIS interface. No problems w/ Logic whatsoever, trying Ableton LIVE again for first time in several years, and off to a rough start.

Will update to Monterey 12.4 and see how goes.

catalyticFishee

Post by catalyticFishee » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:39 am

same issue here on mac os 12.4. i can't currently use ableton 11 at all :'(

i've sent crash/status reports to tech support to see what they can suggest...

Idiom

Post by Idiom » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:48 pm

So, not sure if this helps, but I just experienced this issue... I'm running Live 10 on Big Sur 11.6.1. I'm using Pro Tools Carbon as an interface.

I accidentally selected "Carbon Reserved for Pro Tools" and when I tried go back to select the driver applicable for other DAWs it would crash.

What worked: I opened up Ableton, went into preferences, and selected No Device, backed out, closed and reopened the software. I was then able to go in and select the audio input, and output I wanted without it crashing, and I'm back up and running. The issue only seemed to happen when I was trying to go directly from one output driver to another.

Not sure if this is actually helpful, but so far so good!!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:03 am

Idiom wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:48 pm
So, not sure if this helps, but I just experienced this issue... I'm running Live 10 on Big Sur 11.6.1. I'm using Pro Tools Carbon as an interface.

I accidentally selected "Carbon Reserved for Pro Tools" and when I tried go back to select the driver applicable for other DAWs it would crash.

What worked: I opened up Ableton, went into preferences, and selected No Device, backed out, closed and reopened the software. I was then able to go in and select the audio input, and output I wanted without it crashing, and I'm back up and running. The issue only seemed to happen when I was trying to go directly from one output driver to another.

Not sure if this is actually helpful, but so far so good!!
Would be interesting to forward this to Support if you have a moment.
Ableton Forum Moderator