Audio glitch at 44.1/48 and not at 88/96

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
havkayak

Audio glitch at 44.1/48 and not at 88/96

Post by havkayak » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi all!

Here is the (for me) mind-boggling experience: When I use the test-tone in Preferences, the tone starts to glitch/distort at 31 % CPU load with samplerate at 44100 kHz. 33 % at 48 kHz, and not at all (up to 80 %) in 88 kHz and 96 kHz. It should be the other way around, shouldn't it? The same thing happens when I use CPU-hungry soft-synths. I seldom reach 33 % CPU-load on my computer when making my music, so it's really not a big problem for me. But it's irritating not to find out what causes this, so then I place mye trust in you, boys and girls :D (I've tried numerous searches on the Internet without finding anything close to an answer.)

I've tried everything, matching, non-matching sampling frequencies in Windows, unplugging USB-gear, disabeled/enabled internal soundcard (which I don't use for music)... Updated drivers, re-installed new drivers, updating firmware in my RODE AI-1 sound card. My guess is that it is a driver-problem. But could it possibly be another answer? The overall latency (512 buffer size) drops from 16 ms in 48 kHz to 8 ms in 96 kHz. UPDATE: I now understand why the latency drops at higher sampling frequencies. But can it be a part of the explanation for my main question?

I would be most greatful if someone can explain what's happening, even though it might not be a solution to it.

Regards Havka