Moving Live from problem macOS admin account to new

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glas11

Moving Live from problem macOS admin account to new

Post by glas11 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 am

macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Ableton Live Suite 11.0.11

I’ve had to create a new admin user on my Catalina MacBook Pro. So Live 11 has been effectively reset to factory settings.

I would like to copy everything from

/Users/myolduser/Music/Ableton/

to

/Users/mynewuser/Music/Ableton/

most of which is empty at the moment. This includes everything in

* Factory Packs (28 items)
* Live Recordings (not much)
* User Library (quite a few items)

Is it okay to do this or will I just create problems?

I have asked support but alas there is a bit of a backlog and I'm hoping this is something someone here will know.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Moving Live from problem macOS admin account to new

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:30 pm

Tbh this non/admin accounts, and user account/profiles on a computer isn't something I ever tried to understand.
That being said, I don't see why this would create any problem. Live can works with these files even if they're on e.g and external drive.
You could also try pointing Live, on your new account, to this "old account" folder and see how it goes.
I copied Live/User librairies and preferences files over computers multiple times, and it's not a problem.
Ableton Forum Moderator

glas11

Post by glas11 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Thanks for this suggestion [jur].

I plan eventually to delete the original corrupt user a/c to recover the 140 GB of drive space it's using so that isn't an option.

But I will copy my old Music/Ableton/ folder to another location and point the new Ableton there, rather than overwriting the default.

Then if I ihave issues I can always point back to that default.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:20 pm

glas11 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:43 pm
I plan eventually to delete the original corrupt user a/c to recover the 140 GB of drive space it's using so that isn't an option.
Ah ok.
But don't worry, there's no risk at all. Copy your (user) Library folder, the preferences and application support files, and also your temporary files folder to your new account; then point your new Live install to the corresponding folders and you'll be good to go like if this never happened :wink:
I want to get more cautious you can also backup those folders to an external drive before deleting your corrupted account. But you're already backing up your system to an external drive in case of failure, aren't you? :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

glas11

Post by glas11 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:27 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:20 pm
But you're already backing up your system to an external drive in case of failure, aren't you? :wink:
Oh god aye. Times two :!: