live 11 retrocompatibility (and licences)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
grrrz

live 11 retrocompatibility (and licences)

Post by grrrz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:48 pm

I have a sound installation running on an old mac pro (always offline) and was wondering if for live 11 I can run the latest version with for example a previous version of live 11? I know compatibility is broken between major versions; and sometimes minor; but is it the case this time until now?
I have to edit the project on my laptop and transfer it. I'd like to put live 11 on the pro if possible and keep updating my laptop to later versions of live 11.
Also if I have to install live 10 (on the laptop on which live 11 is installed) to get around this issue; do I need to use another live licence like it's a new activation or will it use my machine information and count it as one licence?
I'm not even sure which version I can install on the mac pro; maybe I won't be able to install live 11; it's either a macpro 4,1 or 5,1 I need to check. Somebody should make a converter already; this is the source of constant problems (until now it was running live 9; but now we can't install live 9 on modern laptops so we have to update the pro to 10 or 11 as well as the OS, and so on). I even keep old macbooks around just to deal with the problem; but I'd like to sell them.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: live 11 retrocompatibility (and licences)

Post by [jur] » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:52 pm

The easiest way to go is to run 2 simultaneous instances of L11 on your machine. On mac the requirement is that both version should be different, so you can e.g use L11.0.5 and L11.0.11.
L11 needs High Sierra minimum, I have a Mac Pro 5.1 running high sierra so you should be able too.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:58 pm

grrrz wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:48 pm
Also if I have to install live 10 (on the laptop on which live 11 is installed) to get around this issue; do I need to use another live licence like it's a new activation or will it use my machine information and count it as one licence?
I think it depends if your L11 was upgraded from L10, or if it's a separate license, but not 100 percent sure (you can check with support@ableton.com if needed). But in any case, if you do have a L10 license you shouldn't worry: if you need to install it on a machine where it's never been installed, just go ahead!
Ableton Forum Moderator

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:25 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:52 pm
The easiest way to go is to run 2 simultaneous instances of L11 on your machine. On mac the requirement is that both version should be different, so you can e.g use L11.0.5 and L11.0.11.
L11 needs High Sierra minimum, I have a Mac Pro 5.1 running high sierra so you should be able too.
Just to be clear I don't need to run two versions of live at the same time though; I just need to keep one live version compatible with the one I have on the mac pro which preferably will be updated once and never again. So two different versions of live 11 could be a solution. Is there a way to download different versions if need be?
the archive here https://www.ableton.com/en/download/archive/ doesn't have all the minor versions.

I'm not sure if the mac pro is 4,1 or 5,1 ; I'll need to check. If it's 4,1 I'll probably need to install a new OS through dosdude if it's possible.
Right now it's running Lion I think (It's a whole thing because it's stored in big crates that you can't move alone one hour from home; I'd have to take at least a day to do this and backup what's on it)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:42 pm

If you have a Live 11 license just reach out to support@ableton.com, I'm sure they can help get you any previous version you might need.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:42 pm
If you have a Live 11 license just reach out to support@ableton.com, I'm sure they can help get you any previous version you might need.
Now I'm wondering if the "download archive" only contains different major versions that break compatibility with previous versions (like there are four versions of live 9), like I don't think compatibility is broken with each minor version. But yeah I'll contact support if and when needed.