Ableton can't find my plugins anymore – can somebody please help?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

Ableton can't find my plugins anymore – can somebody please help?

Post by Christian_R » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi,

I had do reinstall my entire iMac some days ago. I have downloaded and installed Ableton Live 10 again, and today I reinstalled Serum, Xfer LFO Tool and Massive.

All three installation were successful, but when I open Ableton I can't see any of them when I click on "Plug-ins". Can somebody please help me?

When I installed Ableton, I put the program in the Applications folder as suggested. I haven't done anything else to the program, so I'm not sure what's the reason for this? Massive is also in the Applications folder, and when I installed Serum and LFO Tool I didn't get asked where to put them.

I even gave my Mac a restart just in case, but that didn't help. And I allowed these programs to be installed under "Security and Privacy" on my Mac, so this is really strange.

Really hope somebody can help me out :)

Mark Williams

Re: Ableton can't find my plugins anymore – can somebody please help?

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:44 pm

check ableton prefs are pointing to the relevant plugin folders and turned on VST3/AU as well.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:50 pm

check ableton prefs are pointing to the relevant plugin folders and turned on VST3/AU as well.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:44 pm
Thank you!

I now turned Use Audio Units and Use VST2 Plug-In System folders on. I tried to turn Use VST3 Plug-In System folders on too, but that didn't change anything (I think).

I have a couple of more questions, if you (or anyone else) don't mind:

1) When I turned on Use Audio Units, my plugins are put in sub folders under "Audio Units". But when I also turned on Use VST2 Plug-In System folders, they are also there. Is there a difference between these two dropdown menus? Do I need them both?

2) And what is the difference between VST2 Plug-In and VST3 Plug-In?

Sorry for many questions, but the last time I installed Ableton with all plugins I got help, and now I must figure this out for myself :)

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Trevbo wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:19 pm
I have a pc so I can’t help much with your vst 3 plugins
VST3 are on both PC & Mac.
AU's are Mac only

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:24 pm

Christian_R wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Thank you!

I now turned Use Audio Units and Use VST2 Plug-In System folders on. I tried to turn Use VST3 Plug-In System folders on too, but that didn't change anything (I think).

1) When I turned on Use Audio Units, my plugins are put in sub folders under "Audio Units". But when I also turned on Use VST2 Plug-In System folders, they are also there. Is there a difference between these two dropdown menus? Do I need them both?

Sorry for many questions, but the last time I installed Ableton with all plugins I got help, and now I must figure this out for myself :)
When you install plugins you may get option wether to install AU and or VST versions. Upto you which or what ones you may wish to install.

VST3 is the latest version of VST and has some improvements & in due course will eventually replace VST2, as Steinberg no longer allow developers access new VST2 development kits.

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:31 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:24 pm
Christian_R wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Thank you!

When you install plugins you may get option wether to install AU and or VST versions. Upto you which or what ones you may wish to install.

VST3 is the latest version of VST and has some improvements & in due course will eventually replace VST2, as Steinberg no longer allow developers access new VST2 development kits.
I see, I think :)

So if I get the option between VST2 and VST3, I should choose VST3?

Also, is there a reason why these were turned off in the preferences when I installed Ableton? It makes it a bit harder for people that way.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:33 pm

I generally only install VST3 & AU if I get option, most new plugins now are VST3/AU only.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:34 pm

Trevbo wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:32 pm
Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:19 pm
Trevbo wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:19 pm
I have a pc so I can’t help much with your vst 3 plugins
VST3 are on both PC & Mac.
AU's are Mac only
Yes obviously, I was referring to the Mac version of ableton and Mac OS
Doesnt matter if mac or PC, VST3 works on both.