Had to reintall my Mac and Ableton, now many files are missing – Please help :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

Had to reintall my Mac and Ableton, now many files are missing – Please help :)

Post by Christian_R » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:57 pm

Hi!

My Mac crashed and I had to buy a new disc and reinstall everything. After reinstalling Ableton Live 10, I see that many sounds are missing. Most of them are from Abletons own soundpacks.

So I have 2 questions:

1) I have downloaded various sound packs from Ableton over the years, but it's a little hard to find them all manually now. Is there an automatic way for Ableton to fix this? Since most of the sounds are from Ableton's own web site, shouldn't Ableton be able to recognize this, and ask if I want to download the sound packs containing the missing sounds?

2) Luckily most of my project files were backed up in iCloud Drive, which I downloaded to my desktop. I see that some projects have a "Samples" folder within the project folder, containing a missing sound or two. So I wonder if I can copy that "Samples" folder to the new "User Library" folder, or is it better to still keep each "Samples" folder within the project folder? I ask because many of the samples (like grand piano) are used on several projects.

I hope this made sense. I've spent many hours reinstalling Ableton and the plugins (with different troubleshoots along the way), so if anyone has any tips on how to organize sample folders, make smart backups of sound etc. I will be very happy :D