Why every single commercial song has stereo below 100 hz?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
romariozen

Why every single commercial song has stereo below 100 hz?

Post by romariozen » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Like in every single tutorial you see that engineers vut low end side. But I've downloaded a hunnid tracks from streaming platforms to analyse them and all of them have side through all the frequency response. Does this happen due to converting algorythms or what?

Tarekith

Re: Why every single commercial song has stereo below 100 hz?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:52 pm

I never mono bass frequencies unless it’s going on vinyl.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:30 pm

They surely don't simply because it sounds good this way!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:52 am

Exact same conclusion.
I analyzed many reference songs these last years, from commercial stuff to indie, and I very rarely noticed mono lows.
Sometimes it sounds better to clear the stereo in the lows, but most of the time it just makes the song less interesting (specially if the mix is great and the lows are punchy anyway).

Sometimes, I'm asking myself if many stupid advices you can find on youtube tutorials (generally from completly unknown guys) are not coming from very specific situations (for exemple mixing EDM). The absence of knowledge and culture makes theses rules universal, but they are just rooted in some very specific situation that, for any reason, most of the youtubers seem to share (mixing EDM for exemple).
In the case of EDM for exemple, I can understand the mono lows advice, because the lows are mono anyway in a club (the sub-bass PA is always mono) and even on higher frequencies the stereo will not be reproduced nicely (depending on the position of listener in the venue).
But in the case of music that is supposed to be listened at home (headphones, speakers, etc. etc.), and I guess it's 90% of the music that people listen, the rules are very different...

romariozen

Post by romariozen » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:44 pm

Calagan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:52 am
Exact same conclusion.
I analyzed many reference songs these last years, from commercial stuff to indie, and I very rarely noticed mono lows.
Sometimes it sounds better to clear the stereo in the lows, but most of the time it just makes the song less interesting (specially if the mix is great and the lows are punchy anyway).

Sometimes, I'm asking myself if many stupid advices you can find on youtube tutorials (generally from completly unknown guys) are not coming from very specific situations (for exemple mixing EDM). The absence of knowledge and culture makes theses rules universal, but they are just rooted in some very specific situation that, for any reason, most of the youtubers seem to share (mixing EDM for exemple).
In the case of EDM for exemple, I can understand the mono lows advice, because the lows are mono anyway in a club (the sub-bass PA is always mono) and even on higher frequencies the stereo will not be reproduced nicely (depending on the position of listener in the venue).
But in the case of music that is supposed to be listened at home (headphones, speakers, etc. etc.), and I guess it's 90% of the music that people listen, the rules are very different...
That explains a lot with the acoustic systems you are writing music for, thanks

romariozen

Post by romariozen » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Calagan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:52 am
Exact same conclusion.

Hi again, you know what, I ve done some export experiments. Converting to mp3 from WAV does really create more stereo below 100 hz and mono below 20 Hz. Maybe, those engineers done cut those frequencies on mixing stage finally.