DESPERATE! I am running a theatrical performance with Vid Cues, second monitor not working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ShrimpUSA

DESPERATE! I am running a theatrical performance with Vid Cues, second monitor not working

Post by ShrimpUSA » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:08 am

DESPERATE! I am running a theatrical performance with Vid Cues, second monitor not workingHi,

I am running a concert with video and audio cues form Ableton. I can get the video screen on the second monitor, but when I maximise the screen, the white bar remains at the top. The only work around I could find was to activate 'second window' and put the Arrange view in the second window with the video screen, but then I have no way of accessing the clips to launch. Please help, the concert is next week and I am desperate. Is there any way we can set up a phone call to troubleshoot in real time?

jestermgee

Re: DESPERATE! I am running a theatrical performance with Vid Cues, second monitor not working

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:31 am

May want to include some basic details such as OS/Computer details as a starter, live version, what you are actually doing (what video are you talking about).

ShrimpUSA

Re: DESPERATE! I am running a theatrical performance with Vid Cues, second monitor not working

Post by ShrimpUSA » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:48 am

I am using a new MacBook to launch video clips via hdmi to a projector during a live performance. When I send the video to the second display (projector) and I make the video window in Ableton full size, it’s still has a white bar at the top.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:02 am

Are you making the video window on the second monitor go full-size by dragging it's corners or by double-clicking it? Double-clicking on the video window should make it go full-screen with no border/menu-bar.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

ShrimpUSA

Post by ShrimpUSA » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:25 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uk74vyfo27f9 ... .HEIC?dl=0

Double clicking on the white boarder makes the window full screen, however the white bar at the top stays.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:06 pm

Aha! Now that I can see it’s a Finder Menu Bar, this seems to be a common issue. It’s a macOS setting, not related to Live.

Try this:
https://support.troikatronix.com/suppor ... al-display

HTH
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Soundcloud

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:09 pm

I faced this problem a few months ago and the only way was to enable the behavior where the “title bar” (or whatever it’s called) automatically hides.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:46 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:06 pm
Aha! Now that I can see it’s a Finder Menu Bar, this seems to be a common issue. It’s a macOS setting, not related to Live.

Try this:
https://support.troikatronix.com/suppor ... al-display

HTH
Yes I think that's exactly it; if you uncheck this; the second screen won't have a menu bar, I had the same problem a while back.

Also; if it helps; and FIY (for the original poster) when you activate the second window of live you can switch both views with tab.

ShrimpUSA

Post by ShrimpUSA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 am

It worked!! Thanks you!!!!!!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:05 am

Great to hear!!

Please don’t take this the wrong way, since i see you are a teacher, could I offer up a “teachable moment”?

If you had described the “white bar” at the top as a Finder Menu Bar initially, we could have found the answer a lot quicker. Once I saw from the pic it was a Finder Menu Bar, googling “finder menu bar projector” got straight to the solution.

In music tech, and especially in teaching music tech, using correct terminology is important.

I always tell my students, you are never the first person in the world to have had a particular problem before, so can you think of the best google search words to define your problem?

TLDR: never underestimate the power of a well-worded google search. :D
Soundcloud

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:17 pm

this QLab guide is a good starting point for show-prepping a Mac:

https://qlab.app/docs/v4/general/preparing-your-mac/

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:04 am

^^^ FARK… Before reading that I thought “yeah I’m pretty hardcore in prepping my mac for stage… but that was putting the electromagnetic shotgun to the forehead.

A lot of those things can be switched off without going to Terminal, I’ve never done any Terminal-diving specifically to prep for a performance.

I can see how you might want an extra layer of bullet-proof if it was a multi-user/operator situation where you don’t want people individually turning stuff on and endangering the show.
Soundcloud

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:12 am

i have all the Terminal commands for prepping/unprepping collected in a couple of text files, and just copy-paste them into Terminal...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:30 am

Do you do everything on the Qlab list? more? less? The newly professionally-paranoid want to know! 8O
Soundcloud