WHY - All the vst automations we're recorded, and the synth STILL sounds different than the bounce

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chigaco

WHY - All the vst automations we're recorded, and the synth STILL sounds different than the bounce

Post by chigaco » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:26 pm

One thing that depresses me about Ableton is how sometimes editing possibilities are just... Lost. Forever.

Specifically, I'm talking about the problem with VSTs ( and even native Ableton instruments) sometimes just don't sound the same as when they were initially recorded.

In my practice, I LOVE just jamming on plug-ins, and recording everything, the automations, the effects I add, the sends, etc. I enjoy the resampling and midi editing possibilities so much, that I actually SOLD all my hardware synths to focus on an Ableton-only ecosystem. I love making patches and saving them and creating a sound signature of my own. I love having it all on my laptop, ready to be taken live.

My typical jamming scenario is this: I start by making or loading an instrument rack with a vst in it (currently I vibe with Sampler, Operator and the Arturia Collection). I perform the midi notes, either on my computer keyboard, or a musical keyboard, or a controller, or the push. I make sure I have an audio track that resamples everything, I make sure the automation arm is on, and I hit the master record button.

I get in a creative zone. I try different things, I edit the patches, I try different effects, I get emotional, I dance. I record all sorts of things, and I end up with beautiful ideas and new patches.

Now, the MAJOR PROBLEM with this, is that for some STRANGE reason, going back and trying to save or edit some patches across the recording, THINGS SUDDENLY DON'T SOUND THE SAME AS THEY DID WHEN I FIRST PLAYED THE NOTES. Often, I have to resort to the audio recording only, as I am unable to recreate the exact patch I am looking for.

I understand this limitation would exist in a hardware scenario, but I just don't get why it happens inside of Ableton, with virtual instruments and midi notes and recorded automations. Any clue? Any fix? Should y'all address this in your next updates?

Mark Williams

Re: WHY - All the vst automations we're recorded, and the synth STILL sounds different than the bounce

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:33 pm

No update needed, Works fine here.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

jestermgee

Re: WHY - All the vst automations we're recorded, and the synth STILL sounds different than the bounce

Post by jestermgee » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:37 pm

12+ year user here, what I program in is what I hear out.

What OS?

Can you just detail steps to repro the issue with a plug-in or throw up an example because if it’s consistent for you and no one else it’s a workflow issue I am guessing

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 am

It sounds like you’re changing some settings either on the fly or by changing presets that are not ‘editable’ in the timeline. So your result is mostly only from what your last preset was. And if you jump to the beginning, it’d sound very different from that.

royston

Post by royston » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:57 pm

I've got the same problems with Arturia and Macro automation.
Using the VST2 version of the plugIn instead of VST3 solved the problem.