VST3 no Program Change

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MichaelAbletonForum

VST3 no Program Change

Post by MichaelAbletonForum » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:02 pm

On off the main midi implementation is Program Change since it was invented Ableton Live should implement it.

Its a mees to load 100 Plugins in the instrument rack chains, when its possible to use one instance with program change.

So, to be clear:

I know the instrument chain setup, but I need program change.
I know that it is simple to implement program change with VST3. There are many host they do it. Its not the raw midi data it has to be passed to the VST3 via a VSTparameter

Please Please implement program change for VST3 , i will help testing it!

manuhz

Re: VST3 no Program Change

Post by manuhz » Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 am

Ey there, no news about the implementation of such a basic functionallity?

lalo

Post by lalo » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:40 pm

Still nothing on this front....i would really like to get some mechanism to save VST3 presets in an Ableton Live container...as Reaper or Gig Performer do.
They can save the state of a VST3 including the selected "internal" preset of the VST3.
It's a feature that i miss a lot in a...."live" oriented software.
Hope for future versions!

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed May 17, 2023 1:41 pm

omg. just figuring this thread out.
I posted this : viewtopic.php?t=247288

as I even thought it was a bug (it is at least a design bug!)
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

login

Post by login » Sun May 21, 2023 5:55 am

VSt3 implementation was defined by Steinberg not Ableton, and they removed a lot of midi functionality from the VST design in version 3, it is still possible in some way but it is up to the plugin developer to implement with some work around, here you can read what steinberg developers think about MIDI: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst3-and ... all/201879

So, hit Ableton support and ask for CLAP support, a plugin format that is way more flexible than VST. The more of us than ask the faster we might get it.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun May 21, 2023 8:46 am

login wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:55 am
VSt3 implementation was defined by Steinberg not Ableton, and they removed a lot of midi functionality from the VST design in version 3.
Julienb wrote in the other thread (and I can confirm both):
- the same VST3 loaded into another DAW receives program changes correctly (and behaves as it should)
- the same VST3 loaded a [vst~] object in Max 8 can receive program changes correctly (and behaves as it should) too

I know you like to promote CLAP, but this isn't a VST3 problem. It's an Ableton Live problem.

manuhz

Post by manuhz » Sun May 21, 2023 8:50 am

Rivanni wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:46 am
login wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:55 am
VSt3 implementation was defined by Steinberg not Ableton, and they removed a lot of midi functionality from the VST design in version 3.
Julienb wrote in the other thread (and I can confirm both):
- the same VST3 loaded into another DAW receives program changes correctly (and behaves as it should)
- the same VST3 loaded a [vst~] object in Max 8 can receive program changes correctly (and behaves as it should) too

I know you like to promote CLAP, but this isn't a VST3 problem. It's an Ableton Live problem.
Yes, exactly that.