VSTs not installing in manufacturer folder (Mac)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
saqun

VSTs not installing in manufacturer folder (Mac)

Post by saqun » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:01 am

When I install plugins in Live 11.0.12, VST3 and AU versions appear in a folder with manufacturer's name in Live browser.

The VST 2 versions do not, they are all installing in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST and sit in the VST folder in Live (no subfolder).

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!

Mark Williams

Re: VSTs not installing in manufacturer folder (Mac)

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 am

Make the folders and name them, then rescan within Ableton. Job done.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

saqun

Post by saqun » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:43 am

Thanks but trying to avoid manual work with every install. Also this technique breaks some plugins and I have to move files outside folder for them to work.

This behaviour seems like it started with Live 11.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:35 am

Its nothing to do with Ableton, its down to plugin developers and their installers, I always do this on Mac and PC and never had an issue at all.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:41 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:35 am
Its nothing to do with Ableton, its down to plugin developers and their installers, I always do this on Mac and PC and never had an issue at all.
Having bounced around between a half dozen DAWs over the years, it's Ableton. Other DAWs can sort VST 2 by manufacturer no problem. At this point with VST2 going away in the next couple years at least in terms of new development, I prefer they don't spend any resources on it though.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:52 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:41 am
Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:35 am
Having bounced around between a half dozen DAWs over the years, it's Ableton. Other DAWs can sort VST 2 by manufacturer no problem. At this point with VST2 going away in the next couple years at least in terms of new development, I prefer they don't spend any resources on it though.
Ableton does not create developer folders when you install third party plugins, the plugin installers should do that. But many don't, ableton browser will pick up developer folders if you create them later, simple and easy. Only problem I see and this is mainly Izoptope and Native Instruments occasionally use slight different developer name, causing 2 entry's in Ableton browser for example Izoptope & Izoptope Inc on VST3. Both listed in ableton browser.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:52 am
Ableton does not create developer folders when you install third party plugins, the plugin installers should do that. But many don't, ableton browser will pick up developer folders if you create them later, simple and easy. Only problem I see and this is mainly Izoptope and Native Instruments occasionally use slight different developer name, causing 2 entry's in Ableton browser for example Izoptope & Izoptope Inc on VST3. Both listed in ableton browser.
Right, but that's not how it's separated in general at least on OS X. AU have tags that a DAW can use, it's not related to actual folders, same with VST3. VST2 also has tags, as DAWs like DP can sort all formats; AU; VST 2, VST 3, in it's plug in browser. So it's just Ableton that didn't get around to adding that functionality to VST2, but VST2 is on the way out, I really wouldn't want Ableton worrying about a format that will be largely gone in the next couple years.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:35 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 am
Right, but that's not how it's separated in general at least on OS X. AU have tags that a DAW can use, it's not related to actual folders, same with VST3. VST2 also has tags, as DAWs like DP can sort all formats; AU; VST 2, VST 3, in it's plug in browser. So it's just Ableton that didn't get around to adding that functionality to VST2, but VST2 is on the way out, I really wouldn't want Ableton worrying about a format that will be largely gone in the next couple years.
But that isnt the OP's problem.
He is expecting Ableton to make foilders and sub folders when he uses/installs thrid party plugins, like I said previously that is down to the plugin developer to write that into their installer.

Same here, in fact I have pretty much stopped using VST2's completely. Pretty much just use AU or VST3's.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:58 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:35 am
Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 am
But that isnt the OP's problem.
He is expecting Ableton to make foilders and sub folders when he uses/installs thrid party plugins, like I said previously that is down to the plugin developer to write that into their installer.
As far as I know Live only shows plug ins in folders in it's browser, in fact I'm certain of that, in my OS plug ins folders there are no actual folders, except a sparse amount in VST2. . Inside of Lives browser, AU and VST3 have manufacturer folders. Inside of DP11's browser AU, VST2 and VST3 all show up in manufacturer folders. In both DAWs I see no folders created outside of the DAW.

Check this out yourself, At least on my system there isn't a single folder in the Components folder. In VST 2 there is one, in VST3 there are a few, but only VST2 does not sort by developer, only the single developer that made a "folder" is sorted. Whereas in DP11 VST2 plug ins are sorted in it's browser by manufacturer, so definitely a code blunder in Ableton that never got addressed.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 am

Yep no folders inside au components folder, but in my vst2 and occasionally in vst3 folders I make my own folders after installing 3rd party plugins