Those Stubborn "Only ... Can Be ..." Alerts: Problem Track Not Found

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
otalgia99

Those Stubborn "Only ... Can Be ..." Alerts: Problem Track Not Found

Post by otalgia99 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:28 pm

Hello again, everyone

One of my sets insists on presenting this alert in the status bar:

Only Audio Effects Can Be Loaded Into An Audio Track (I reckon many of us have encountered this one at some point or other).

The alert doesn't identify the offending channel however, and clicking the alert doesn't reveal it either (which would be a nice feature if it did). Mousing over across the channels causes the alert to flash on almost every one of them.

And what I found even stranger is that after scouring every track's Device View, I still can't find any Audio channels with a MIDI effect or device in it either.

Any thoughts? Can it be that these alerts are sometimes tough to clear after they've been corrected? I know that some Max devices can cause odd things to happen...

Thanks!
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Those Stubborn "Only ... Can Be ..." Alerts: Problem Track Not Found

Post by [jur] » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:09 pm

This should only momentarily appear when you try to load on device on a track that doesn't support this type of device, and then disappear.
Are you seeing this constantly?
Which Live version? Which OS?
Ableton Forum Moderator

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am

Thanks very much for your answer!

In reply to yours, it's:

Live 10 Suite
OS 10.11.6

I noticed the behavior repeatedly In a particular set a couple of days ago. The alert continued to flash momentarily, no matter what I tried. However everything else about the set was functioning as expected.

If you'd like, I can see if the behavior re-occurs, and let you know.

Thanks again!
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:08 pm

otalgia99 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 am
If you'd like, I can see if the behavior re-occurs, and let you know.
That'd be great yes!
If it re-occurs, while the set is open go to the Help menu and select "get support". This will open up the right-hand side panel and give you a link to a "status pack": send this pack to support@ableton.com with a quick explanation of what's happening.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:37 pm

Hmm, strangely I'm just seeing this too, I think for the first time.
On High Sierra, L11.0.12.
Ableton Forum Moderator

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello again

So far, I have not made it re-occur. But I am keeping my eye on this, so perhaps we might not have this thread close quite yet.

Many thanks for your time & consideration!

O99
Perform. rig

Prod. rig

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:23 pm

I'm wondering if it could be triggered after using the manage project feature?
Did you use it to e.g find missing samples or devices in your project before the error message gets stuck?
Ableton Forum Moderator

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am

Ahh! a VERY interesting question.

In fact I did recently begin using the PACK function for the very first time, and only got the procedure down after a couple of incomplete / unsuccessful attempts at it. (And yes, reading the manual was ultimately a key factor in success -- it's a pity I didn't start there! :D )

Unfortunately I can't now recall the exact sequence of steps that I took during that process. I only remember trying a couple of times before getting it right.

I'm not sure why the alerts and the file manager would be related, but I always believe that "anything is possible," and in this particular case your point does in fact reflect an aspect of actual events.

Having closed the set and re-opened it several days later the alerts seem to have cleared out. But there are a few different versions of the problematic set and I have yet to open them all to investigate. I'm doing that now.

Many thanks!
O99
Perform. rig

Prod. rig

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:11 pm

otalgia99 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am
I'm not sure why the alerts and the file manager would be related
That's the funny thing with bugs... :wink:

After some more testing I'm now pretty confident that it happens after using the project manager to find missing device(s).
Ableton Forum Moderator

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:14 am

Thanks!

My own research showed no further occurance of "the behavior" in any of the sets from the previously-affected project.

Perhaps worth noting (...or worth nothing? :D ):

I didn't knowingly use FM to search for missing devices. However I could well have been trying to collect missing media files and, in my clumsy efforts to create a pack, it's entirely possible that I might have, umm, "clicked on something," as they say.

Many thanks for all of the time & consideration devoted to this question!
O99
Perform. rig

Prod. rig