Crackling sound when sending midi to external device

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dinkapach

Crackling sound when sending midi to external device

Post by dinkapach » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 pm

Hello everyone :)
I have a weird situation and hope someone can help me.
I bought recently a Fireface UC and when I'm trying to send midi notes to my behringer ms1 with external device it crackles and got stuck in a while, and with my previous sound card focusrite scarlett 2i2 it doesn't happens. The cpu is on 7% so it's not cpu related issue, also with my behringer dm12 everything works great with the fireface.
My computer is macbook pro 2017 i7 with 16GB running macOs BigSur and I'm using Ableton 11
I want to mention also that I tried to test it with macbook pro 2020 with the fireface and there is no issue with the ms1, so what can be the issue with my computer and this specific combination of sound card and synth?

Uploaded a demonstration of the issue to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtPElv8SgxQ

miyaru

Re: Crackling sound when sending midi to external device

Post by miyaru » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:47 am

I'm no Mac guy, but I suspect it is a MIDI related problem here. Is echo thru enabled in some way in the synth? Try to disconnect the midi out on the synth and play back a sequence then. If everything is fine then, you know it is midi echo thing.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Terrorbeat

Re: Crackling sound when sending midi to external device

Post by Terrorbeat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:05 pm

Check whichever cable you are using for the MIDI whether its USB or 5 pin DIN. For a couple years, every now and then I would hear 'static' when I would send MIDI clock to all my outputs on my AMT8. Didn't happen all the time but every now and then there was a constant stream of static when the clock was going. After a couple of years of dealing with it, it turned out it was the old HOSA MIDI cables I had connected to my Nord Modular.