Hardware synth only works when Logic Pro is open??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jackloftus

Hardware synth only works when Logic Pro is open??

Post by jackloftus » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:33 am

Hey guys, I have a pretty weird problem.

I've set up my hardware synth (Moog slim patty) to be controlled by my launch key mini mk3 in ableton as shown in these images:

https://imgur.com/a/BGTojOx

I'm using an SSL 2+ with a line audio out going to the synth. the synth is connected to my laptop via usb.

with just ableton open and the gain turned all the way up, I can only hear a small static/white noise coming from the audio track. When I open Logic Pro and select external midi, the synth works perfectly. I've muted the track in Logic Pro to check - the synth audio starts working through Ableton.

This is the only way I can get Ableton to work my synth.

I should mention this synth is a rack version, so I can't just control it manually without midi.

Chancery

Re: Hardware synth only works when Logic Pro is open??

Post by Chancery » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:29 am

A few things.
- Not sure why your Slim Phatty is showing under Control Surface, and not under MIDI Ports. It should be listed under MIDI Ports in your preferences, but it isn't. Do double check you're connecting the synth and the computer via USB directly.
- Why are you sending audio from the SSL2+ to the synth? The audio goes from the synth audio out to one of your SSL2+ inputs. And the SSL2+ outputs to your monitors or power amp (or nowhere if you're just using headphones).
- In the MIDI track in Live insert an External Instrument device, set it to send MIDI to the Slim Phatty and receive audio from the SSL2+ input you plugged your synth into.
- In that MIDI track I/O, set the output to Master, not to Launchkey.
- Forget the Audio track for now. Until you want to record.