Ableton Live 10 misreading MIDI pedal data - sometimes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digital Larry

Ableton Live 10 misreading MIDI pedal data - sometimes

Post by Digital Larry » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:58 pm

I've got a Rolls MIDI Buddy footpedal. It mostly just sends out program changes. It's connected to Live using an M-Audio 4x4 interface.

When I try to map one of the foot switches, it is recognized as "pitch bend". Subsequently, it does not work for the desired function (triggering a "Looper" plugin).

If I put a Max for Live MIDI monitor on a track and arm it, it correctly displays program changes, not pitch bend messages.

I also have a MacMillen SoftStep, which I was able to map correctly to the looper trigger. However I would rather use the MIDI Buddy.

Digital Larry

Re: Ableton Live 10 misreading MIDI pedal data - sometimes

Post by Digital Larry » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:52 pm

I also looked at the MIDI Buddy MIDI out using MIDI-Ox. It shows program changes and then there are two special buttons for stop and start (which also send the program change for soprano sax every other time you step on them, for some funny reason). This all looks normal, except for the soprano sax part.

I went back to the MAX for Live MIDI Monitor and it did show some old pitch bend messages, but I really don't know where these are coming from. I have all the other MIDI inputs turned off. When I pressed the MIDI Buddy switch it just pushed down with program change messages as expected.