any way to (reverse) sidechain/gate an effect rack...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RokSivante

any way to (reverse) sidechain/gate an effect rack...?

Post by RokSivante » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:20 am

stumped trying to figure out: is there any way to sidechain-trigger an effect rack on/of (with the audio signal from the track its on preceeding the rack)?

adding detail to make the question more clear...

I've got a pluck sound that's got a reverb tail (coming from an instance of Trash2 on the track, which I can't get rid of without losing the distortion part of it I want)... would like to have a Pro-Q EQ kick in as soon as the initial pluck sound is done to sculpt the verb tail.

easy solution in most cases would obviously be to run reverb on a return track and then EQ that. however, I've run into a couple cases like this where that won't work as what I want to EQ-sculpt (or process some other way) is coming from one plugin in the middle of several on the track, so it seems a bit more complicated.

if there weren't too many notes, automating the Pro-Q would also be simple. however, that'd not be practical with alot of notes.

can't recall other examples offhand of what I've had in mind for this same type of arrangement, though would be good to know so have more flexibility such that could essentially put whatever in an effect rack and have it triggered as though it were attached to / led by gate so when the input level to it drops below a set threshold, it turns on - and then off again once the input goes above the threshold.

anyone done this kind of thing or know how it could be setup effectively?