External Instrument with Audio Effects?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LarZ2

External Instrument with Audio Effects?

Post by LarZ2 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:08 am

Ableton 11 on PC. I use Push2 to trigger my Yamaha MODX synth, it has some great sax and wind instrument sounds. The synth is set as External Instrument and it works great, except for an occasional stuck midi note.
I want to use some Audio Effects, and VSTs to enhance the incoming synth sound. How can I do that? When I try to drop an Audio Effect into the box, it shows up, but there is no change to the sound, no matter what effect or VST I drop in there.
What am I missing here. ??
LarZ

miyaru

Re: External Instrument with Audio Effects?

Post by miyaru » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:28 am

Are you using an audio interface? If yes, is direct monitoring on? If so, switch it of and in the monitor section of that channel switch to IN.

That should do the trick........ Let us know if this was the case!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

LarZ2

Re: External Instrument with Audio Effects?

Post by LarZ2 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:15 am

I have a Mackie ProFX mixer, it has audio interface built in. That is plugged in by USB cable to the PC.
My keyboards run into the mixer, and output from Ableton runs into the mixer.

Direct Monitoring? On the audio interface? I think so. On a MIDI channel, External Instrument, I can see a signal (audio in) coming into the channel (monitor in), but if I change the gain on that external instrument, nothing happens. Or if I drop an Audio Effect on that channel, no effect.
The little bars light up on the effect to show input, but the effect does nothing to the sound.

Thanks for your ideas, I had this working before the upgrade to 11, now I am in the dark, and it is so hard to explain.
LarZ