Newbie question - mix vocals with music track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bart Pieters

Newbie question - mix vocals with music track

Post by Bart Pieters » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:46 am

I am sure this sort of question is asked frequently. I searched for it, but could not find it. I am totally new to recording, DAW (learned what that means yesterday), direct monitoring etc are all new to me. I checked the intro video's at 'Learn Live' but terms as Comping, MPE etc mean little to me :-)

What I aim to achieve is this. I am taking singing lessons and I wish to record myself singing along karaoke video's from YouTube. Those recordings I wish to share with my vocal coach. I am able to record my own singing. What I am currently stuck on, is figuring out how to tell Ableton where to audiotrack is coming from. I hear the track and my singing combined on my headphone, but when I hit record it only records my voice.

When I search on the internet, each time I use 'YouTube' as a search term, it directs me to video's on YouTube but does not explain how to use YouTube as an input. I could of course download the track from YouTube and run the track locally on my laptop. I tried that but I also cannot figure out how to use a local source as input.

So my apologies for this beginner's question, but I'd be very appreciative if someone could take a moment and tell me how to pull this of. Thanks!

miyaru

Re: Newbie question - mix vocals with music track

Post by miyaru » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:09 am

You can't do that normally.

You need an audio interface with loopback functionality like my Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 3rd gen. Without it you have to download the song, import it and then sing to it.

But when you do so, be aware that warping is not switched to on, otherwise your imported track might sound strange.......

Maybe for the next question? Google it, or look in your manual.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Bart Pieters

Post by Bart Pieters » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:15 am

Thanks for the reply Miyaru! So it is not as straightforward as I hoped it would be and requires specific equipment or importing the track etc. This sort of explains why I could not find it in the manuals, instruction videos and other resources I checked since I was looking for something that is not there :-)

I'll try second possibility you mentioned: importing the track into Ableton live. Thanks again!

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:39 am

No thanx,

Don't forget to turn warp off!!!! :D
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: