How to stretch a sample without moving the starting position

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jjohnson040390

How to stretch a sample without moving the starting position

Post by jjohnson040390 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:01 am

I'm currently working on a piece where I'm manipulating an audio recording by chopping it up, reversing, slowing down, etc., and putting it together as a sort of collage of samples. Because of this, there are multiple times where I'll split a part of the recording, copy/paste, and then manipulate that clip. One annoying thing that keeps happening is when I timestretch using the clip view BPM, it stretches the entire original audio file it came from and makes it so the starting point of the cropped clip is pushed back. I tried messing around with Follow/lead and specifically right-clicking to crop it as a unique clip, but it still pulls in the audio content that came before it.

I want it to start at this specific point, and I get I could just re-split it to pick where the now longer clip starts, and I could also export the clip and drag it back in which would probably do the trick. But I was wondering if there was a setting/switch somewhere in the program for a quicker workflow.

Chancery

Re: How to stretch a sample without moving the starting position

Post by Chancery » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 am

- Consolidate de clip first (Cmnd/Ctrl+J). This creates a new audio file the size of the clip.
- Stretch it by pressing Shift and dragging the right edge, as if to resize it.
Last edited by Chancery on Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:38 am

Visually and audibly is probably better than using the Segment BPM.

Segment BPM tells Live ‘starting at the selected marker, this audio clip is this particular bpm’. If there are neighboring markers, those will definitely be affected, and as a result things can get really weird if your just typing in random numbers without taking those factors into consideration.

jjohnson040390

Post by jjohnson040390 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 am

Thanks a lot. I feel like I knew about the shift+drag and my brain just tuned it out, but consolidating the clip helps for making a quick unique clip. And thanks for the tips, yur.