Statically assign tracks to hardware faders?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mark Evertz

Statically assign tracks to hardware faders?

Post by Mark Evertz » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi All,

does anyone know if it is possible to statically assign (let’s say the first 8 tracks to an external controller (automated fader)?

Hence, when I am expanding a group or navigate to other tracks on the right side (I.e. tracks 9++), the faders on the controller will still control the first 8 tracks? Ideally this can be arbitrary tracks or groups. The main point is that the external faders are not following and will always control the assigned tracks. I know this can be done with reaper and pro tools.

Cheers
Mark

scheffkoch

Re: Statically assign tracks to hardware faders?

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:51 pm

…you can just use the midi learn function…
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Mark Evertz

Post by Mark Evertz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:56 pm

But this doesn’t work when the controller already has assigned events via scripts i.e. automated faders e.g. faderport.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:13 pm

…you mean you have a script so that eg rotary knobs follow the blue hand and you want the faders be static?…mhh…don‘t know if/how that works since a script is related to the controller…i have a push that „follows“ my selection but i also have another controller that is midi learned to a dedicated set of faders and whatever…works without problems…
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Mark Evertz

Post by Mark Evertz » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:20 am

Exactly. I use a faderport which comes with a script and pre-configured assignments for all its control elements. I still want to make use of them i.e. don’t want do loose the motorized faders automatically adjusting positions, but want them stick with the first 8 tracks, which I use for a stem-mixing approach.