New M1 MacBook Pro - clean install everything or Migration Assistant?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[jur]
Site Admin

Re: New M1 MacBook Pro - clean install everything or Migration Assistant?

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:48 pm

That's great news Pitch Black!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:55 pm

Yeah the new MBPs are so crazy powerful, it’s definitely the best laptop upgrade I’ve ever had. I’m in the middle of a move right now and using my laptop on battery power more than I usually it just goes for days even when I’m testing audio projects that are quite heavy (for me anyway).

Congrats Paddy!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

cids

Post by cids » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:21 pm

Migration Assistant has always worked fine for me...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:20 am

So I ran into an issue… Testing a showload with 12GB of samples/hundreds of tracks and scenes I started getting slight crackles at one point :(

Then I remembered I’d turned the audio buffer down to 32 samples several days ago for shits n giggles. I normally use 256 for gigging.

Bumping it up to 64 samples or greater made everything work perfectly again. On an 18 year old audio interface. Through TWO dongles. (RME Fireface 800)

I never used to be able to use a 32 samples buffer size at all on my old machine.

8O 8O 8O

MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:08 am

…that’s awesome!…you‘re using the live 11.1 beta, right?…i‘m asking because i can‘t use my old setup with ableton 10 on this new mbp without raising the buffer (using my trusty old rme multiface)…and even then it crackles sometimes…i stopped troubleshooting and desperately wait for the 11.1 release (i‘m not in the beat group)…you’re experience sounds promising!…
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Yes on the 11.1 beta.

Hard to say if it will improve your situation. The beta program is open now you could download it and give it a try.

BTW, super impressed you’re still using a Multiface! I used to have one before the FF800. Gotta give mad props to RME for continuing to update their drivers.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Soundcloud

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:28 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:02 pm
Yes on the 11.1 beta.

Hard to say if it will improve your situation. The beta program is open now you could download it and give it a try.

BTW, super impressed you’re still using a Multiface! I used to have one before the FF800. Gotta give mad props to RME for continuing to update their drivers.
Amazing company. I posted on their forums a thread about M1 support for the FF800 and at first they said that since the new laptops didn't have firewire ports... as soon as they realized that thunderbolt supported firewire they updated the driver, literally maybe two months after. I ended up getting a Babyface FS that can access 8 ins and outs from the FF800 without the FF800 plugged in. So the FF acts as a preamp, line in/outs etc. for the Babyface. This way I can unplug my entire studio with two ADAT cables. 8)

The only negative to RME at all is their terrible documentation on Totalmix.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:55 pm

…ha…yes, rme respectively their support is unrivaled…when i bought the multiface1 it was a bit over my budget but now after all the years i can say it was the best tech investment i did…i think this is the 4th or 5th computer i use it with starting with a g4 and pci card to using it with the expresscard and various adapters to connect it to my different intel mbp…now with the new m1 mbp i‘m back using a pcie card (that i bought 2nd hand) inside a sonnettech housing and i hope the reason for my setup being unstable atm is ableton 10‘s use of the rosetta layer…i‘ll see…maybe i should give the beta a try but i‘d prefer to wait for the official release…however…thanks for your input!
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:47 am

I’d really recommend giving the beta a try, even if you’re not planning on moving immediately. If you keep working in Live 10 for now, and have a play around with the beta it’ll give you a good heads up of what to expect when you do move. Just my 2c anyway…

My takeaway was, happily, quite boring… in that everything I expected to work (FF800 and all my USB2 MIDI controllers) just worked, with nothing doing anything it shouldn’t do….. so far!

I’m currently building 2 shows for public performance the first one starting 4 weeks away, and I’m building in the beta with the expectation that I’ll gig with it. I have an out, though, in that I can rebuild the showloads in L10 easily enough if it comes to it.

@Machines that FF800 hookup sounds spiffy!
Soundcloud

Jed

Post by Jed » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:34 pm

Great news Paddy - the dawn of a new era for you :D

Cheers
Jed

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 pm

…fyi: i installed the beta and it seems all of my problems are gone…ableton related i mean😂
thanks for motivating me to try it!
👊

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am

…i have to give another update on this: my initial testings were done with the internal soundcard…now i‘ve hooked up my multiface and i am able to run my project wit 32 samples buffer… 8O …wow…i wouldn‘t do a live show with that buffer just to be safe, but i can tell that cpu usage only went from roundabout 24% (128 samples) to 29% (32 samples)…this is with a project that was on 50% cpu usage with 256 samples buffer on my 2018 i7 mbp…i‘m speechless…

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:00 pm

Great news! Will we be seeing an update to your sig any time soon? :wink: :D
Soundcloud

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 pm

✌️😁👊

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:05 am

Awesome.

Hope springs eternal...

Congrats guys!

@machinesworking - 8) wow!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.