Preview ONLY a sound/time selection in Arrangement without hitting play

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
80017 chip

Preview ONLY a sound/time selection in Arrangement without hitting play

Post by 80017 chip » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:12 pm

On another DAW I use you can click on a sound bite (or "clip") or select time in a track in the linear (or "Arrangement") view, then hit "option + spacebar" and it will play ONLY that selection. The transport doesn't engage - in other words, the DAW doesn't start playing to do this. It's an excellent to hear just a sound(s) or a segment of a track (or tracks) without having to press play, or solo the track and press play. Super convenient for my workflow.

Is there a way to do this in Live? If there is not, what is the workaround? I can't seem to find a solution in the manual but may be missing something obvious.

If you're having a hard time visualizing this, picture 8 tracks of different 808 audio drums in a DAW. In my other DAW, you can (for instance) click on one 808 kick clip in the "Kick" track, click option+spacebar, and it'll just play that selected kick (through whatever plug-ins are on the track inserts, too - such as an EQ or compressor). You're hearing the audio in situ rather than previewing a sample in a browser. That's just a micro-example. You could also select multiple clips, or times across tracks. You could click just the kick, hat, and stick for 01.04.00-02.01.64, and it'll just play those (with silence in between if there is no selected material). I didn't realize how awesome this was until I couldn't do it anymore in Live.

Thank you for any help.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Preview ONLY a sound/time selection in Arrangement without hitting play

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:51 pm

There's no feature like this in Live. You need to solo the track.
I'm moving this to the Feature Wishlist. :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

jdigits

Post by jdigits » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:28 am

I was looking for this myself and figured out that you need to; Solo the track which is the S box next to or below the track number mute/unmute button, then you can select the area of clip you want to play, click control-space and it plays that in isolation

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:50 pm

Only one extra step. Not arguing against the feature. It could be handy being able to preview just the highlighted area without pressing solo. Maybe extend it to multiple tracks as well.