Sounds not playing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lancerguy

Sounds not playing?

Post by lancerguy » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:38 am

When i drag a clip from the (Sounds) tab and place it on the track list i get no audio. It will be sent to the track title bar and when i do get it as a clip i can see it playing but i get no audio from it. Clearly im doing something wrong so any help would be appreciated. Everything else i can hear just clips from the sounds menu gives me nothing.

yur2die4

Re: Sounds not playing?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:33 am

‘Sounds’ are not meant to be loops or clips. They are instruments. The previews just give you an idea of what they sound like. But you have to draw your own music notes or play them into Live via a keyboard.

You can also use ‘midi clips’, drag those onto the channel after you’ve loaded a ‘sound’. A lot of the clips from various instruments are midi clips, so you’d simply have to drag that onto your loaded sound to have that new sound play out the note sequence to get a different vibe.

lancerguy

Post by lancerguy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:12 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:33 am
‘Sounds’ are not meant to be loops or clips. They are instruments. The previews just give you an idea of what they sound like. But you have to draw your own music notes or play them into Live via a keyboard.

You can also use ‘midi clips’, drag those onto the channel after you’ve loaded a ‘sound’. A lot of the clips from various instruments are midi clips, so you’d simply have to drag that onto your loaded sound to have that new sound play out the note sequence to get a different vibe.
OH okay, so for sounds i would need a midi keyboard. i currently just have a launchpad so i assume with ableton i can have both the launchpad and keyboard connected at the same time.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:37 am

There are several possibilities.

You can definitely connect both devices.

You can also use a typing keyboard. There is an icon at the top right which turns on typing keyboard. On the bottom left of the screen is a Hint dialogue. When you hover the mouse over the Keyboard icon, it should explain the functionality of that icon.

You can also play notes with the Launchpad. Different versions of the Launchpad do note modes differently, so it’s hard to explain how it behaves without knowing which one you’re using.

lancerguy

Post by lancerguy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:34 am

is it possible to change the BPM for individual tracks?