Arturia Keystep as external instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Threaded Nail

Arturia Keystep as external instrument

Post by Threaded Nail » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:07 pm

I am using an arturia keystep (clock setting set to USB) with abletons "external instrument" on a track to send midi info to an external synth and the keystep seems to be receiving the info from ableton correctly but the only notes that come out of the keystep is from its built in sequencer. Im afraid that my problem is that the keystep will not work this way and is strictly a sequencer and not a midi controller. Can anyone confirm that this is the case and that the only fix is a real midi controller or a midi interface of sorts? My audio interface is the Apollo solo and does not have midi out so routing out this way is not possible.

AbletonMASCHINE

Re: Arturia Keystep as external instrument

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:21 pm

IMO the Keystep is one of the most versatile, valued and compact budget MIDI controllers with keys.
There a many YT videos :
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... eton+setup

I dont use it with external instrumet but connect it via USB (audio over USB and MIDI over USB) to my pc without changing it's standard clock settings.

Different approach: Connect it with your synth using MIDI cables and route it's audio into your interface / Ableton

Threaded Nail

Post by Threaded Nail » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:54 pm

I am connection with a midi cable with the midi out on the keystep directly to the synth and the keystep is plugged into computer with usb. I want to be synced with the tempo of my song and be able to run those notes to the synth, just cant get around that sequencer coming on every time i hit play in ableton.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:17 pm

Got it. So when you hit play in Live, it triggers the Keystep's internal sequencer? Yup -that's a thing that happens a lot with hardware with their own sequencers.

I *think* this should sort you out:

- Go to Preferences > Link/Tempo/MIDI
- You should see the Arturia listed under MIDI PORTS - there are probably multiple entries for the KeyStep. Various Ins and Outs.
- You want to uncheck Sync under Output. That should stop Live from starting the Arturia's sequencer.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... MIDI-Ports

Threaded Nail

Post by Threaded Nail » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:53 pm

If I uncheck the keystep sync out in ableton preferences I will lose the clock to my synth, then the keystep is basically doing nothing. To add to my original post I do not want to play the keyboard at all I want my programmed notes in the ableton midi clip sent to the synth, and the clock, velocity, modwheel, and pitchwheel. These all used to work through the midi cable to my synth with my old interface. Now I have a new interface with no midi out port.

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:51 pm

Threaded Nail wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:07 pm
I am using an arturia keystep (clock setting set to USB) with abletons "external instrument" on a track to send midi info to an external synth and the keystep seems to be receiving the info from ableton correctly but the only notes that come out of the keystep is from its built in sequencer. Im afraid that my problem is that the keystep will not work this way and is strictly a sequencer and not a midi controller. Can anyone confirm that this is the case and that the only fix is a real midi controller or a midi interface of sorts? My audio interface is the Apollo solo and does not have midi out so routing out this way is not possible.
The keystep is not a midi interface; If you sync it to live when pressing play in live it will play either seq or arp. But it should relay notes (probably not CC) from live to your external hardware. I think. But for this the sequencer /arp definitely has to be stopped so you have to set the clock to internal and press stop. probably best to check the manual.

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:59 pm

Threaded Nail wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:53 pm
If I uncheck the keystep sync out in ableton preferences I will lose the clock to my synth, then the keystep is basically doing nothing. To add to my original post I do not want to play the keyboard at all I want my programmed notes in the ableton midi clip sent to the synth, and the clock, velocity, modwheel, and pitchwheel. These all used to work through the midi cable to my synth with my old interface. Now I have a new interface with no midi out port.
Yeah sorry didn't read your reply so you probably can't have both clock and notes from live at the same time. you need a proper midi interface to do this. or usb if your synth has it.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:53 pm

Sorry, from me too, Threaded - I totally ignored the external synth part.

Let me think - I swear this behaves in a similar way to my Novation SL61 MkIII. That has an internal seq too, and it's given me grief before.

There should be a way to bypass the seq. On my keyboard I can toggle between internal seq mode and regular behavior. I don't suppose there's any toggles on the keystep?

Threaded Nail

Post by Threaded Nail » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:24 am

Thanks alot for the help. Been scratchin my head all day, I guess the sequencer just does not have an off switch, not without losing other important stuff with it anyway. I found a midi only interface for a nice price and im just going to get that.

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:10 am

Probably too late, but as far as I know you can set MIDI Out on the Keystep as MIDI Thru. This will pass on the MIDI received from Live to your synth. Not sure though if it will still send its own internally generated MIDI or not (it shouldn't, but who knows, maybe it becomes a simultaneous Thru/Out).

Does your hardware synth not have USB MIDI? That'd be another option.

Also, the advice by Shift Gorden is correct. If all you want is MIDI info from Live to your synth via the Keystep, you don't need any clocking or sync of any kind.

Threaded Nail

Post by Threaded Nail » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 am

Thanks Chancery, I looked and the options on the keystep are, internal, usb, midi, and sync in. Maybe one of them lets it do through sync, I will try that again (Ive tried them all) but user confusion is a big problem here so its worth a shot. I do need the clock pretty bad though because this is a modular synth and I only have a 5 pin midi module. I think I will be able to do through sync with the midi interface though I purchased as the keystep has a 5 pin midi in and also a 5 pin midi out but I havent received the interface yet. Ill post an update what happened for anyone else having this issue.

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:01 am

Threaded Nail wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 am
I do need the clock pretty bad though because this is a modular synth and I only have a 5 pin midi module.
Ah, if we're talking modular and you've got other stuff running then yes, you need sync.
Threaded Nail wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 am
I looked and the options on the keystep are, internal, usb, midi, and sync in.
The midi Thru is configured via the MIDI Control Center software.
I had a quick browse at the manual (chapter eight) and you can set a MIDI channel for the internal Keystep sequencer and a different one for the CV/Gate/Mod outputs. Maybe give that a shot.
You might be able to use the Gate output for general sync (a clip with 16th notes would do) and the MIDI Thru for your MIDI module.

Still, the Keystep seems a little limited, so it's not a bad idea to have the additional MIDI route you'll get with your new MIDI interface.

Threaded Nail

Post by Threaded Nail » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:25 pm

I have got everything solved now with the keystep and getting midi to an external synth. Arturia does have a way to turn on MIDI through but must be done within the software. But I have found it easier to just use the MIDI interface to go to my synth and my keystep is plugged into my computer via usb and does not go to the synth directly, this still lets me play the keyboard anytime and the synths signal is achieved by Keystep(usb)>computer>MIDI interface>external synth. With the computer after the keystep this just seems easier to me. Thanks for the help everybody.