visualisers to accompany Live set

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kebabman

visualisers to accompany Live set

Post by kebabman » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:13 pm

I've finished my Live set using Live 9. All my songs are chopped into sections in session view and go down the page diagonally from left to right.

I'm now looking at how I put visuals to my loop based melodic techno. I'm guessing the easiest way to do this is in Live. Am I right in thinking that video support is only for Live 10 and 11? I'm really reluctant to upgrade as I'm not sure my 2012 mbp could cope! (Having said that my Live set of rendered audio plays fine at around 8 or 9% cpu!)

I have a projector and a second 2012 mbp and am thinking that this machine could be used for the visuals. I'm aware of programs such as Resolume but it all looks really complex and don't you need someone else triggering the visuals at a gig?

A simple cheap way looks like it may be to use a visualiser. If I want this to be in time to the audio, is the easiest thing to stick a mic (or use the onboard mic) into my second mbp and let it do it's stuff? I'm assuming that this would be a better option rather than trying to use a visualiser on the machine running Ableton (cpu load and also I need to see the Ableton interface rather than some visuals).

I saw some apps on the app store that use midi and you can change the visuals manually. I really want to try and keep things fairly simple if I'm doing other things at a gig.

Any help gratefully received. Many thanks.
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...