Record automation enveloppe only

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reivaxo

Record automation enveloppe only

Post by reivaxo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:19 am

Hello internet,

I have recently bought a Launchkey mini mk3 and I am using Abelton live 10 on Windows 10. I noticed I can draw automation enveloppes and insert enveloppe shapes over my tracks, but I want to edit these enveloppes using the knobs on my MIDI controller. I know how to do this live, but let's suppose I record some saxophone on a track. Is there a way to then only record an automation enveloppe (controlled by some mapped knobs)?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Chancery

Re: Record automation enveloppe only

Post by Chancery » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:03 am

Are you working in Session or Arrangement view?

In Arrangement view:
- Turn on the Automation Arm button. The one to the right of the + button, with two circles joined by a line.
- Do not record-arm the track.
- Press the main Record button.
- All parameter changes you make will get recorded as automation.

In Session view it will depend on: Preferences > Record > Record Session Automation in > ...
And obviously you'll have to press the Session Record button, not the main one.

reivaxo

Post by reivaxo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 am

I work in arrangement view.
Thank you so much that worked very well!

I have a follow up question: is there a way to do the same with a MIDI track? When I do the same steps, the notes get erased even if the track is not record-armed.

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 am

The + button next to the Automation Arm button at the top is the MIDI Arrangement Overdub and does exactly that. Although if your track is not record-armed it shouldn't erase anything in either position. However I seem to remember having problems with this not doing what it's supposed to at times, and suddenly starting to work as expected.

Also, in case this is applicable to your Launchkey:
I use a Launchpad Pro Mk3, and when it's in Note mode, even if the active track in Live is not record-armed, the button will appear in dimmed red, and WILL erase the MIDI content if the + button is off. For the record button to be completely off, the Launchpad needs to be in Session mode.
Maybe someone can chime in and clarify this. I'm not too sure what's going on there.