Yikes!! Generic Instrument Rack Preset Overwritten?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
otalgia99

Yikes!! Generic Instrument Rack Preset Overwritten?

Post by otalgia99 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:08 pm

Hello, everyone

It seems as if I have overwritten the generic, non-configured Instrument Rack item with a rack I created for one project. (Is that even possible??)

I'm not sure how I managed to do that, but when I drag from the browser into a set as follows:

> BROWSER
> Instruments
> Instrument Rack

I now get the rack I created for a particular set (as mentioned above) with its chains and macro mapping, rather than an empty, ready-to-configure Instrument Rack.

Having confirmed that this really was happening (because at first I couldn't believe what I was seeing), I then tried stripping out the preconfigured settings from the rack which now appears instead of the generic, empty one; renaming it "Instrument Rack," and clicking the "disc" icon in the rack's title bar, hoping to re-save an empty Instrument Rack back to where it had been.

But that has not restored the generic instrument rack to the location detailed above (Browser > Instruments > Instrument Rack); it only added a generic rack as a User Preset which is buried down-list.

I suppose I could add the generic Instrument Rack as a "Favorite" for easier access but what I really want is to restore things to the way they were before I did... well, whatever it was that I did.

Any words of experience & wisdom for such a predicament? Even if i re-downloaded and re-installed Live, I'm not sure that would clear this problem.

With best wishes to all for a happy & healthy 2022,

O99

PS: Although I am not certain this is related to the problem above, it now appears that in addition to the situation described, dragging this new Instrument Rack into a set now seems to trigger the "ONLY AUDIO EFFECTS CAN BE ADDED TO AN AUDIO TRACK" error (even though I'm dragging an Instrument Rack into a MIDI track).

But the two issues may not be related, so... one problem at a time!
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

fishmonkey

Re: Yikes!! Generic Instrument Rack Preset Overwritten?

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:01 am

it sounds like you have saved one of your Instrument Racks as a default preset.

have a look in User Library -> Defaults -> Instruments. you probably will find "Instrument Rack.adg" in there. delete that and you will be back to a clean slate.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... cdd7814aee

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 pm

Oh yes, that works!

Many thanks you for your advice.

I've been wondering -- having stripped out the chains & macro mappings from the pesky preset (thus returning the configured rack to a generic state, as described in the original post) -- would then selecting Save As Default from the contextual menu have yielded the same result of restoring the generic rack to BROWSER > Instruments > Instrument Rack? Or does that function do something different?

With warm regards,
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:21 am

i think so. why not try it?