Having problems making drum loop match BPM with other loops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SIGMA7

Having problems making drum loop match BPM with other loops

Post by SIGMA7 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:00 pm

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me out.

I am entering a remix contest and I was provided with the STEMS.

Now, the STEMS all have a BPM of 82.67 defined in the Audio Clip Settings

My main tempo in Ableton is 122 BPM

My drum loop is also 122 BPM.

Problem is, the drum loop and the other STEMS don't sync up. They sound out of sync.

What can I do to correct this?

Thanks!

SIGMA7
www.soundcloud.com/sigma-7

jestermgee

Re: Having problems making drum loop match BPM with other loops

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:39 pm

So, you are entering a remix contest but stuck at the remixing part ? :D

Although Live is reporting the BPM of the stems, are you sure they are actually that BPM? It is rare (especially any electronic music or anything played to a locked click track) that you would have a BPM with a decimal such as 82.67 so I think as a start this is not correct.

Have you simply played the drum track from the stems and done some old fashioned investigating of the original BPM?

Chances are these are longer sounds and not small loops so the calculation will not be correct and they will not simply scale with a change in BPM.

The way I would start would be to first at step 1 figure out the actual BPM. I use to simply use a tool that you press the space bar on each downbeat and after a few presses you have your BPM, often faster than loading and analysing a track outside something like Serato.

Next, start your project at that tempo, get things to line up and crudely construct something

If you really feel you want to go to a different BPM, change it and make adjustments accordingly.

That's a crude overview of how I would be doing things, I am sure you can easily fill in all the blanks.

SIGMA7

Post by SIGMA7 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 am

jestermgee wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:39 pm
So, you are entering a remix contest but stuck at the remixing part ? :D

Although Live is reporting the BPM of the stems, are you sure they are actually that BPM? It is rare (especially any electronic music or anything played to a locked click track) that you would have a BPM with a decimal such as 82.67 so I think as a start this is not correct.

Have you simply played the drum track from the stems and done some old fashioned investigating of the original BPM?

Chances are these are longer sounds and not small loops so the calculation will not be correct and they will not simply scale with a change in BPM.

The way I would start would be to first at step 1 figure out the actual BPM. I use to simply use a tool that you press the space bar on each downbeat and after a few presses you have your BPM, often faster than loading and analysing a track outside something like Serato.

Next, start your project at that tempo, get things to line up and crudely construct something

If you really feel you want to go to a different BPM, change it and make adjustments accordingly.

That's a crude overview of how I would be doing things, I am sure you can easily fill in all the blanks.
It's exactly as you said.

They are longer loops and I think I have to contact the creator of the contest to get the BPM.

Just for your info, I always remixed with short loops and performed everything live on my AKAI MPK249 midi controller.

I've been making music for years, just never got around the very tech side of production. I'm still a beginner in that sense :D

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:14 am

Sigma Seven wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 am
They are longer loops and I think I have to contact the creator of the contest to get the BPM.
Well you should be able to figure out the BPM of a piece of music pretty simple, like how I suggested already. Here, what a world we live in where you don't even have to google the solution yourself:

https://www.beatsperminuteonline.com/

Instructions would be play the beat track, tap a key along withy it then behold the magic BPM. Will save you that embarrassing question of asking the producer what the BPM of their song is :)