Comping or not?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Auntie Maureen

Comping or not?

Post by Auntie Maureen » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:53 pm

I'm quite new to Live and I'm slowly getting my head around it, though there's something that I can't quite work out - I've a midi track sending a signal to a return track and I can't work out how to record the audio of that return track in a take lane? Is this even possible? Does this even make sense? I've tried to find some online tutorials, but what I gather comping can only be applied to audio tracks and not midi....?

SelleDVH

Re: Comping or not?

Post by SelleDVH » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 pm

If I understand you correctly you want to send the output of a return track to an audio track, you can do that by selecting the audio track you want to send the output to in the "Audio to" dropdown.

SelleDVH

Post by SelleDVH » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 pm

I dont see what comping has to do with this.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:25 pm

Screenshot of what you describe would help because no, what you are saying isn't quite making sense or sounds like the wrong way to do it.

It's very likely you don't "need" to record the audio of the return as the audio is "returned" to the track that has sent it and will appear on your MIDI track (which also produces audio)

However if you do need to record the actual audio, as suggested above you need a new audio track then set the return "Audio To" to the new audio track, arm it then play/record whatever