"Include return and master effects" when exporting individual tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SelleDVH

"Include return and master effects" when exporting individual tracks

Post by SelleDVH » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm

Am I correctly understanding that this function does not mean that I can export a mastered song, with a limiter on the master, in individual tracks?

In other words: are all tracks going through the master individually? If that is the case there would be no master limiting because the limiter does not react unless the whole song is going through it.

If I am correctly understanding this, how can I have my mastered song in individual tracks? Does rendering the master while soloing tracks work?

SelleDVH

Re: "Include return and master effects" when exporting individual tracks

Post by SelleDVH » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:29 pm

Ill add some context: after exporting my song with “selected tracks only” and putting the rendered tracks in new Liveset, the master of this new set showed true peak values way higher (between 1 and 3db) than the limiters ceiling in the original liveset. One of the reasons I came up with was the above mentioned.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:49 pm

If you export individual tracks you are not exporting the master so no, whatever you place on the master is not exported with each track. The master is where your tracks are all merged and mixed to a single output.... What you are now choosing to do in another application or process so you forget yopur master plugins and instead, add those onto your new application/process

If you are exporting tracks for the purpose of "mastering" them in another application then you don't want a master limiter/compressor on them, you want to export that then do your master limiting/compression on the master track in your mastering setup. This will be why you export using 32bit so you have all the dynamic range of tracks that may be in the red.

Return tracks are just other tracks, you export those in the same way and if you plan on doing further detailed mixing in another app, you want to keep return tracks simple as you will probably want to instead add returns in your master project for things like overall reverb/echo etc if you want to adjust.

But hey, i'm no mix engineer which is why these kinds of people exist, there is quite a lot to know.

SelleDVH

Post by SelleDVH » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:59 pm

When enabling the “include return and master effects” option the rendered tracks do have the mastering in them as the option implies, I know this for sure because I also have EQ’s on the master bus and they are included in my stems. I want to use the stems for a live performance so that is why I want to have mastered individual tracks making up a song.

SelleDVH

Post by SelleDVH » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:07 pm

Im just not sure how exactly this “include return and mastereffects” works in regards to my first post.

SelleDVH

Post by SelleDVH » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:44 pm

Unless I or someone finds a way to include compression and limiting in the individual tracks I will keep the comp and limiter in realtime in my liveset.