launching a clip makes arrangement play

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rdevries

launching a clip makes arrangement play

Post by rdevries » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:31 pm

I have a noob question:
launching a clip or a scene in sessionview also activates the transport play-button, and thus plays the arrangement.
Is this normal behaviour?

jestermgee

Re: launching a clip makes arrangement play

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm

Yes.

They are tied together in time so when you play 1, the other plays.

However…

If a clip is playing then that track in arrangement is muted allowing you to play clips along with arrangement and test/jam ideas instead of hearing your arrangement.

Would recommend thumbing in the manual a bit, answers loads of these noob questions.

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm

Thanks for the reply,
more specifically I would like the (volume-)automation, on the masterchannel in arrangement, not to play when lanching a scene with clips in sessionview.
Is this possible?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:08 am

Ok, that AFAIK is not possible without removing the automation lane. Tracks will disable automation automatically when a clip is played as the session track will take over and place everything in arrangement for the track offline but master operates in parallel and will always play.

No idea if there is some M4L method/hack for this kind of thing but would be a worthy feature request if it isn't something i'm overlooking, not something i've really needed but am sure others may be interested.