Approaching seventies multitrack...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nagyember

Approaching seventies multitrack...

Post by nagyember » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 am

Hi!

I'm doing a remix of a seventies Hungarian disco song, and I got the original multitrack stems. Since it's the seventies, warping is neccesary. Now, how do I do it, with separate tracks? Obviously, I can warp the kick, but how about (e.g.) the strings, which only starts later in the song? Where do I start? How do I keep its original position in the mix, when warping? :?:

So, what should be the approach to these kind of tracks? Doing the editing with warping turned off, and when finished, warp the mixdown?
How do you do it, guys? :?:

I've been using Live since 2005, so I'm not a beginner, I know the technical part, but I'd like to know how others deal with such complex tasks.
Maybe this is something 'advanced' warping approach, that I don't know about? :?:

Hope I was clear enough to get some tips, answers from my fellow Ableton pals... :) :idea:

Regards,
Laszlo

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Approaching seventies multitrack...

Post by [jur] » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:49 pm

nagyember wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 am
warping is neccesary
Why?

A, maybe, good option could be to use the track as your Warp Master. So don't warp it per se, but lock the grid to the tracks' natural tempo.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:20 pm

Interesting question. Depending on the hardware used, I’ll try to make a digital multitrack of the whole song playing from the original tape.
What’s the record physical support ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 am

nagyember wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 am
but how about (e.g.) the strings, which only starts later in the song? Where do I start?
Consolidate every track individually so they all have the same length (ie. start to finish, this will create some blank audio on your strings intro for example).
Then, if your using L11, it's quick and easy to link the tracks and then use e.g a kick track to warp everything.
You can warp multiple tracks simultaneously with older Live versions too, but I don't remember how to do it atm.
Ableton Forum Moderator

nagyember

Post by nagyember » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:07 pm

Thank you all for your time and thoughts!

Consolidating individually, then locking and simultaneous warping will be my method. This is exactly what I've been looking for!

Saviors, you rock! 8)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:48 pm

Awesome! Have fun.
Ableton Forum Moderator