Ableton Spectrum and Fabfilter spectrum compare

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TPat

Ableton Spectrum and Fabfilter spectrum compare

Post by TPat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:02 pm

Hello all

Tried a bit of Googling but I’m sure I’ll get a simpler answer here.

Geeking out and listening to amazing tunes whilst staring at the spectrum to get a grasp of where I should be cutting and how it affects stuff on nicely mastered stuff.

So started with putting ableton spectrum on a channel monitoring my deck. Surprised how much the high end tapers off after 1k. So opened up fab filter. And apparently it doesn’t. The spectrum is pretty well filled with some higher end stuff blasting through 0db and low end tickling it.

Nothing else is happening on the channel. So what’s going on. Is fabfilter boosting the readout to show more resolution in the high frequencies or something? Or is spectrum just completely wrong? Or am I stupid?

Interesting how spectrum shows stuff as peaking around -36 and fabfilter is as I said above.

School me please.

pottering

Re: Ableton Spectrum and Fabfilter spectrum compare

Post by pottering » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 pm

Spectrum shows a 180 dB range, and the lowest is -380 dB. The lower limit is constrained by the upper limit, you may have to manually lower the upper limit before setting the lower limit.

Block, Refresh and Avg settings also change the displayed data.

Don't own FabFilter but I assume it can also have different settings.

But in short, apectrum analyzers are all the same, they just can have different "zoom" settings.
♥♥♥

Tarekith

Re: Ableton Spectrum and Fabfilter spectrum compare

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:38 am

Many spectrum analyzers use different scales and weighting, so it's not at all uncommon to see differences between various manufacturers.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com