Starting a track with guitar part to define tempo?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Trude

Starting a track with guitar part to define tempo?

Post by Trude » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:56 pm

Hi folks

I'm currently messing with the Live11 demo (on Win11). I'm primarily a guitarist/songwriter, but wanting to bring some more electronic elements into the mix. A lot of my songs are organic in that the tempo pushes and pulls at different parts (intentionally, not because I can't play to a click :)

What I want to do is start a track by sitting down and recording a guitar part without a click (in arrangement mode presumably). I then want to use that track as a basis for the song's variable tempo, so I can play around with ideas in session view and use them anywhere in the song and have the tempo match up.

I did a test recording earlier with an acoustic fingerpicked part, and I set that track as the tempo lead and hit Warp. The tempo is being automated, but it comes nowhere near to matching the audio. I've tried all the Warp modes, and none seem to work. I'm a bit stumped as to what to do next. I've searched around for tutorials for a scenario like this, but not really sure where to start.

Can anyone give me any recommendations of things I should be doing, or maybe some good tutorials I can check out?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Starting a track with guitar part to define tempo?

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:46 pm

Did you try using L11's Tempo Follower feature?
Ableton Forum Moderator