Using Live Tracks + Soft Synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
metropolisiii

Using Live Tracks + Soft Synths

Post by metropolisiii » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:12 pm

Greetings,

I'm having an issue with Ableton Live 11 that I hope can easily be solved. Right now, my band uses Ableton for it's backing tracks, midi patch changes to all of our midi gear, and lights, so we have a click track that keeps everything together. This has worked great for us. However, my goal is to add soft synths into the mix as a way to keep our sounds up to date and reduce our dependency on hardware synthesizers using smaller midi controllers. I recently purchased the Korg Triton plugin to replace my hardware Triton. The problem with this is it's causing an occasional stutter in the sound, which is no good for our drummer who is trying to follow the click. While the plugin does use considerable CPU, I don't see any spikes. Without the plugin, I'm at around 2-5% CPU. With the plugin, it jump to 20%. My computer has 32 GB of ram, so I feel I have enough system resources to pull this off.

My questions are: is this set up a good idea for live production? Should I be using Ableton as both a playback machine and synth engine or should I be using separate laptops?

mothergarage

Re: Using Live Tracks + Soft Synths

Post by mothergarage » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Have you tried to increase the buffersize of your audio device?
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

Mark Williams

Re: Using Live Tracks + Soft Synths

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:32 pm

You post no system details, os etc. So tricky to answer.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P